Blc. Hilo Grand ‘Waldor’s 100 Grand’ Original Division

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The plant I ordered (below) came in spike. After two weeks in my care It bloomed.6BC9A6CE-C105-4583-A0CA-2ECC2E5FFA44.jpeg
Photo of my fully opened bloom below (7 days). It is getting whiter as it ages. It was shipped with a heat pack on the roots but the box and leaves were quite cold even after sitting unopened at room temp for 3-4 hours, then into my grow room at 72 day 62 night temp. Bummer, what I liked about it was the contrast of the lip and flare against the white/very light pink blush background of the petals. Oh well…6591F9C9-BC67-4376-A657-B70C29481EF6.jpeg

Last edited:
Cold temps result in more red pigment and chill from shipment would easily provide more color suffusion. Color will be lighter during warmer conditions with more distinct flare patterns.

Cold temps result in more red pigment and chill from shipment would easily provide more color suffusion. Color will be lighter during warmer conditions with more distinct flare patterns.
Yay, that’s great news! I didn’t think 2 weeks in my environment could have made that much difference, but it certainly was colder on arrival than any other and the first I’ve received with a heat pack keeping roots warm. I’ll hope for a second bloom to be better.

It's still beautiful, but I agree the lighter petals look more pleasing. I've been eyeing this on their list as well, but I'm quickly running out of space....Is it fragrant?

At noon it has a mild to medium pleasing perfume like fragrance. Hard to describe otherwise.
Thanks! Hope the next flowering is closer to expectations, but it's interesting to learn about the factors that can influence the flares!

I heard back from Dave Off. I had asked about his current growing conditions. Here is his info:

“Apologies for the delay.
Mine just bloomed with a similar tone. Not sure why. We have high light levels this time of year and cool temps.”
Dave Off

So it seems his conditions contributed. whether or not the cold in transport had any further effect. I will eagerly anticipate the next bloom. (Seems to be becoming the story of my orchid life 🙃).

I just hung out with David the other night and completely forgot to ask for you. I’m glad he answered. He’s a cool and funny guy lol.

My take on this different flamea development: sometimes it’s individual cultural conditions (eg kelp auxins) and sometimes it’s luck of the gene expression for that period for the general populace (drop in night temperatures with contrasting hot days). My flameas can vary from year to year. That’s why they are unstable for their expression and can look very different plants when they rebloom (which confuses people as you’ve been experiencing).

I just hung out with David the other night and completely forgot to ask for you. I’m glad he answered. He’s a cool and funny guy lol.

My take on this different flamea development: sometimes it’s individual cultural conditions (eg kelp auxins) and sometimes it’s luck of the gene expression for that period for the general populace (drop in night temperatures with contrasting hot days). My flameas can vary from year to year. That’s why they are unstable for their expression and can look very different plants when they rebloom (which confuses people as you’ve been experiencing).
Thank you. Yes, Dave is very personable and very helpful, and an incredibly knowledgable 3rd generation orchid grower/hybridizer (and his plants are top notch). He has spoken at our VOS meetings in the past. I mentioned that this plant arrived in mid 20 degree day temps. It was during the extreme early cold spell the northeast US had in late Dec/Jan (so even colder in NJ when it set its buds). At least knowing this, and that his bloomed looking the same this time, gave me the opportunity to learn more in this regard. Maybe next bloom, I can play with the conditions a bit.
Oh, I do usually use kelp once a month on all my plants but stopped it in Sept. this year (for the winter) as an experiment. I will start it back up again in Feb. I have a note on Rlc. Toshie Aoki ‘Pizazz’ to hold off on kelp this spring as an experiment. The plant I have is a division of the original and has not bloomed for me yet. We shall see…

Gorgeous, I like this flowering much better than the previous one. Congrats!

Gorgeous, I like this flowering much better than the previous one. Congrats!
Yes, I do too. Thanks. Anyone have an opinion about whether I should take this for judging this Saturday--its a 5 hour round trip!?! @DrLeslieEe and others who are judges?? It's named, but never has been judged. Waldor says they name exceptional plants of crosses, but don't always get them to judging. Their original plant of which this is a division is blooming, with a soft pink blush. Obviously, this is one culture affects the color of.

a very nice flower
It’s very pleasing and I really like the flower/plant, but not sure I’ll make the 5 1/2 round trip to get it judged. I was tempted, when I realized it had not ever been judged. It’s going to miss the Feb. local shows this year, blooming after the Paph Forum and before the NCOS show—timing is everything. Maybe another year…. I’d rather take it to a show, not really expecting anything, than to take a whole day to drive 5 1/2 hours for judging and be disappointed. Although I know it would be a learning experience, all things considered, I’ll stay home and repot!!

It’s very pleasing and I really like the flower/plant, but not sure I’ll make the 5 1/2 round trip to get it judged. I was tempted, when I realized it had not ever been judged. It’s going to miss the Feb. local shows this year, blooming after the Paph Forum and before the NCOS show—timing is everything. Maybe another year…. I’d rather take it to a show, not really expecting anything, than to take a whole day to drive 5 1/2 hours for judging and be disappointed. Although I know it would be a learning experience, all things considered, I’ll stay home and repot!!
I think you will grow it very well in your conditions and it might bloom better and at a better time for your shows next year.

Latest posts

Back