Blc Burdekin Bells ‘Rachel’x Cattleya Hawaiian Devotion 'Fred Shull’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Marni Turkel first bloom seedling. I purchased the flask in Nov. 2018. This is the first to bloom.

hybrid #3285.

Apologies about the lighting and pic. The seedlings roots are dug in to the surrounding pots. Will need to repot to move it.

6143071A-619D-4EE6-9C37-6F7C8E4E1368.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow great round form. What is NS of flower and petals?
All, Let me know if I’m doing this correctly. Very difficult to do with two hands and the angle of the images make my measurements look short. But fairly certain we have 14.5 cm across the flower. What other measurements do you usually recommend? Thanks!

5D55E1D1-AF16-4973-82E4-9808F9DED385.jpeg1C171023-D210-40B3-8052-4641F653552E.jpeg

A Marni Turkel first bloom seedling. I purchased the flask in Nov. 2018. This is the first to bloom.

hybrid #3285.

Apologies about the lighting and pic. The seedlings roots are dug in to the surrounding pots. Will need to repot to move it.

View attachment 32562
That is not bad just four years…..I love the round shape….how do you feel about the dorsal ?

All, Let me know if I’m doing this correctly. Very difficult to do with two hands and the angle of the images make my measurements look short. But fairly certain we have 14.5 cm across the flower. What other measurements do you usually recommend? Thanks!

View attachment 32572View attachment 32573
That’s a great size in both parts! Awardable in my opinion with 2-3 flowers. A keeper.

The dorsal is fine and can be trained lol 😂.

Beautiful! I love how the yellow wraps around the outside of the tube, very unusual. The dorsal might be better on the next bloom. It’s a keeper for sure!

That is a great first bloom. it will be good to see it’s siblings !
David
Thanks. Yes, Agreed. I’m very pleased and excited to see the siblings. Burdekin Bells looks to have really come through in this flower. I wasn’t expecting this presence and size.

Also, I am sitting on seedlings from two additional flasks of white cattleya crosses purchased at the same time from Marni. The next two flasks I have held higher expectations for with the awarded parents.

Cattleya Bob Betts ‘The Virgin’ FCC/AOS x Cattleya Bob Betts ‘Conqueror’ FCC/AOS.

Cattleya Earl ‘Imperialis’ FCC/AOS x Cattleya Sierra Blanca 'Mt Whitney’ AM/AOS.

Those two other flasks should be very interesting especially the sib crossing of Bob Betts. I think that these two high quality parents are both tetraploids.
This makes sense, of all the seedlings the Bob Betts are a real pain to grow. From the 20-25 I started with in the compot I only have a handful that survived and made it to individual pots. Still touch and go, they seem to be very susceptible to improper watering and rot easily if too much water hits the young lead.

Latest posts

Back