Blc Burdekin Bells ‘Rachel’x Cattleya Hawaiian Devotion 'Fred Shull’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible overlapping form for a first bloom! Is the dorsal reflexed, or is it just hidden by the huge petals?

The third seedling to bloom. Unfortunately, I didn’t wait for the flower to mature and I brought it into our society’s meeting last evening.. :/ it got a little banged up and is looking very deflated today. But, I am still documenting each seedling in this thread until I bloom them all out. Please welcome #3 to the 🌎

IMG_9240.jpegIMG_9239.jpegIMG_9238.jpeg

Another great one! Seems to be a consistently good cross, these are going to be killer on mature plants. Congrats!

This makes sense, of all the seedlings the Bob Betts are a real pain to grow. From the 20-25 I started with in the compot I only have a handful that survived and made it to individual pots. Still touch and go, they seem to be very susceptible to improper watering and rot easily if too much water hits the young lead.
Interesting. It is likely that the Bob Betts seedlings are tetraploid like the parents must be. Tetraploids can be slower growing, but I suspect that the other parents in your crosses are probably also tetraploid to be as good as they are. The only other thing I can think of is that Bob Betts has a lot more mossiae in its makeup (about 2/3) whereas the other crosses are all under 50% mossiae. Mossiae has very minimal rain in the natural habitat Jan/Feb/Mar getting only some dew and mist. That might make some Bob Betts are little more sensitive to constant high moisture and nutrition. Realize that I have never grown a flask out, so what do I know!

Latest posts

Back