Black Flower : Rothschildianum x Vini Maudiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I only saw one vendor carrying some years ago, and then one in the last two years on eBay, which was a division of a known flower.
Black Hawk or something.

What are the reasons these are rarely seen?
Low germination rate, poor seedling growth, hard to bloom, flower quality overall horrible??

The curiosity arose while I was thinking of possible outcome if I crossed my mini multi with a vini maudiae.

The intensely dark flowers that often result from multifloral x vini maudiae crosses strongly tend toward odd kinks and crinkles, and worse, that detract from the symmetry - more that non vini crosses. If they are perfect they can be spectacular, but the dark flowers probably have a limited market when they aren't perfect. I don't think they are particularly hard subjects to cross, germinate, grow or bloom compared to any other intersectional hybrids with multiflorals.

I have a feeling that non-roth multis that don't have (as many) spots might be less prone to the crippled flowers, especially if crossed with a vini with few spots/warts.

Latest posts

Back