bizarre paph growth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Paph Shin-Yi's Pride that has been growing oddly for a few years now. At first it was just the wrinkled leaves. Within the past six months or so it started putting out multiple leaves from the crown side-by-side. I don't think it's the occasional oddly placed new growth, as these look like individual full-sized leaves. Has anyone ever seen this kind of growth?

The pics I've seen of similarly wrinkled leaves have had captions indicating it's caused by polyploidy. I've got a bunch of flasklings of a white-complex with wrinkled leaves, but I've never heard of a multifloral near-primary with the condition. Just in case, I've sent a piece to Critter Creek for virus testing. I keep the plant around out of morbid curiosity. I'm afraid that if it ever flowers I'll have a spike full of mutants...

Here are a few pics:

oddgrowth1.jpg

oddgrowth2.jpg

--Stephen

Regarding the wrinkled leaves, I have two plants with that.
My lowii, which has a little of that going on, is supposedly 4N.
My philippinense, which is not, has it on older growths, but none of the new leaves. The old leaves look just like your plant though. I figured Norman forgot to water it for a while. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back