Biopod

Discussion in 'Slipper Orchid Culture' started by gdupont, Jun 14, 2018.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Jun 14, 2018 #1

gdupont

gdupont

gdupont

I was surprised to find nothing on this forum about biopods! Has anyone used them for Phrags? I'm thinking of trying one out, maybe even for a kovachii. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Jun 14, 2018 #2

NYEric

NYEric

NYEric

Good luck. Don't see anything there large enough for a grown Pk.

3. Jun 14, 2018 #3

gdupont

gdupont

gdupont

Mine is still a seedling. I'd also like to try it for Phrag. andreettae or Dendrophylax lindenii.

4. Jun 15, 2018 #4

StreetVariety

StreetVariety

StreetVariety

Seems cool, but obviously not designed for plants.

5. Jun 16, 2018 #5

Linus_Cello

Linus_Cello

Linus_Cello

Maybe small orchids? I know someone who bought one at the go-fund-me or whatever stage, and uses it for poison dart frogs and bromeliads. Probably some small pleurothallids would work too.

6. Jun 18, 2018 #6

xiphius

xiphius

xiphius

I don't get it. Just Looks like an over-priced, somewhat automated, vivarium to me...

That said, I know a lots of people who have converted old aquariums into similar setups for growing miniature and micro orchids with a lot of success (simple, cheap, and very effective). Unless you plan on keeping animals that are super finicky and need exacting environmental conditions (like rare, sensitive, reptiles and/or amphibians), I think this is way overkill for orchids and you'd be better off saving your money to buy more plants.

Just my 2c.

7. Jun 19, 2018 #7

CarlG

CarlG

CarlG

It probably is an over-priced, somewhat automated vivarium.

BUT: I think the point is that a good proportion of people have no idea of how to go about setting something like this up, and so derive a level of comfort from a turnkey system.

Also, it looks rather snazzier than a typical aquarium build.

8. Jun 19, 2018 #8

xiphius

xiphius

xiphius

That's fair. I am personally a very gung-ho DIYer, so a part of me died a little when I saw what they were asking for those. Even the small ones (which would only be appropriate for a rather small collection of mini orchids) are like $500. The "larger" ones (which still aren't really big enough for much beyond minis) are north of $1000. That's a lot of precious orchid-money! :p

I've seen some very snazzy DIY orchidarium builds. But yeah, a lot of them tend to be more functional than "centerpiece worthy." However, I think this was the intention from the beginning for most of them (most people just want something that will grow the orchids they want to grow reasonably well). I guess it's all in what you want and how much time you have to make it work - and some people have more money than time (nothing wrong with that).

That said, the one with the integrated aquarium is pretty cool looking :p. Now I suddenly have an idea for a new project I wanna build... doh! :evil:

9. Jun 23, 2018 #9

gdupont

gdupont

gdupont

Yeah, I was very impressed by the "centerpiece worthiness" of the device, and the ease of use. I've never built a vivarium or other system like this, and I really appreciate the temperature control of the system, too. Guess I'll steer clear for now! You make a good point about precious orchid-money :p