Big tiny thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fibre

Reaction score
Here is my thaianum with the most flowers I got so far from one thaianum plant: four stems, six flowers. The natural spread of the flowers is 5.5 cm (2.2''). This is an extraordinary round flat and vigorous thaianum.

ifzn1l.jpg

2z6ijw9.jpg

That is SPECTACULAR! Well done!

However, are you sure it's thaianum? I'm NO expert on this species. I've never even seen one in person. But, I've not seen a thaianum online with that much speckling on the petals. Also, the pouch is quite differently shaped from all the others I've seen online. The others have a more narrow and pointed pouch. This plant has a wider and more squared-jaw look. Most of all, the thaianums I've seen online all have a two dot green blotch on the staminode sheild. This plant has a single yellow spot.

Plus, you say it's "...extraordinary round flat and vigorous...". Could that be because it's not actually a thaianum....or a pure thaianum? The vigour could be the result of hybrid vigour.

I wonder if it's a hybrid with niveum......or, depending on the provenance of this plant, could it be an as-yet unrecognised, closely related, new species?

There's just so much different and exceptionally nice about this plant. It makes me wonder. But, as I indicate, that could just be my inexperience showing. One thing I do know is I'd LOVE to have that! It's exactly the sort of Paphs that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Congratulations on growing and blooming it so well!

EDIT:
Of course, I've done some more looking around the Internet. I've found more photos with thaianum flowers with more speckling than I remember seeing before. Also, I noticed that your flowers have the wonderful spotting inside the pouch, just like thaianum. So, I'm coming around to thinking that the issue for me is ..... well, ..... me. I just haven't seen enough thaianum to get a good sense of the diversity within the species. I'm now leaning towards exactly what you presented here.....a very fine example of thaianum. Wow!

Omg that's simply beautiful! So well grown!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

For having 2 plants (doing great Fibre) of the same batch I guess, it's thaianum.

Here is the latest flower I had:

3zrM1S1Z-pscusjcUXh86Cr4-5Z2HFjGbD0guR-50p8

I also found fibre's photo of this clone and two of it's siblings, posted on this forum, from 2 years ago. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30529

He says it's from flask and I'm presuming that the 3 in the photo are from the same flask. So, there can be quite a bit of variation. Lesson learned!

If there's a lot of 'variation' that would be against this being a pure species unless the parents were very dissimilar (and were they pure..............it goes on).

That is SPECTACULAR! Well done!

However, are you sure it's thaianum? (...)

Good point, John. I discussed this with experienced orchidist here too. There are good points for both sites but more signs for it being an 'improved' species IMO.

By saying it is an extraordinary I meant that it is better than the others out of the same flask. This clone is more vigorous and its shape flatter and more round in comparison to the others of that batch. This group thaianum is not more or less vigorous than thaianums from other sources. There are no signs of hybrid-vigour.

The range of variation is not so big as one would expect of a F2 hybrid. So it may be a F1 i.e. a primary. But niveum is unlikely a parent because the staminode shield of niveum is usually bigger than the opening of the pouch and the pouch is very round. So the other possibility is P. godefroyae. This would explain the pink dots on the petals and the big round shape as well as the sometimes more elongated shape of the pouch of lots of its brothers and sisters out of the same flask. But progenies of godefroyae usually have short stems. This is not the case here.

In addition these plants smell like thaianum too! This is a very unique lemon like odour. I like it!

So IMO this plant is within the variation of the species but at the edge - the top edge :D

To be honest, I don't love this Paph for being a species but for its wonderful flowers. And even if it would be an hybrid it would be an exceptional one!

Good point, John. I discussed this with experienced orchidist here too. There are good points for both sites but more signs for it being an 'improved' species IMO.

By saying it is an extraordinary I meant that it is better than the others out of the same flask. This clone is more vigorous and its shape flatter and more round in comparison to the others of that batch. This group thaianum is not more or less vigorous than thaianums from other sources. There are no signs of hybrid-vigour.

The range of variation is not so big as one would expect of a F2 hybrid. So it may be a F1 i.e. a primary. But niveum is unlikely a parent because the staminode shield of niveum is usually bigger than the opening of the pouch and the pouch is very round. So the other possibility is P. godefroyae. This would explain the pink dots on the petals and the big round shape as well as the sometimes more elongated shape of the pouch of lots of its brothers and sisters out of the same flask. But progenies of godefroyae usually have short stems. This is not the case here.

In addition these plants smell like thaianum too! This is a very unique lemon like odour. I like it!

So IMO this plant is within the variation of the species but at the edge - the top edge :D

To be honest, I don't love this Paph for being a species but for its wonderful flowers. And even if it would be an hybrid it would be an exceptional one!

SELF IT!!!!

Latest posts

Back