Big & heavy Paph Franz Glanz broke its own neck

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ma_sha1

Reaction score
This is a super slow bloomer, Waited 3 month for the bloom to open & it lasted only one day :(

The big flower measures almost 5" wide with a huge bowl, the weight caused it to break its own neck this morning. The flower feels pretty heavy in my hand actually. Anyone seen this happen to big paph flowers?

How to prevent this from happening again?

My other question is, I heard paph Franz Glanz are often China moon being mislabeled. Can you tell if it's true Franz Glanz from the photo?

014cbb29e671d7d01ae66c1908afca38.jpg

b9a014eb7e0f27ae7ee9895db9018d5c.jpg

fd166ae66978556c7eb4abf6d7ea58eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a pity!
Nice big bright yellow flower, though!

My first impression was Woessner China Moon, but I think it can be nearly impossible to tell them apart on most cases. The fact that the plants themselves basically look the same adds to the difficulty.

The only time I can tell surely that it is Franz Glanz is when the color combo is obviously emersonii, like very pale to white petals with light yellow pouch.
Sometimes staminodes are very telling, but I don't think it is always very clear, either.

By the way, how long did this take from low sheath to open flower??

I have about three Franz Glanz and all of them aborted the bud after sitting low for what it seemed like forever.
All of them are in low sheath again this year, but they have been like that for months now.

One of my Woessner China Moon seedlings is finally in low bud after first showing the sheath a few months ago.

These guys are killing me. better be pretty. lol

They do tend to blast, my 1st. one Last year arrived in high bud & bud blasted shortly after arrival.

This one bought new this year in bud also, don't know how long it's in bud already but it sits there for a month doing nothing.

I moved it from dry window area to right under my humidifier & t 5 lighting, it seems to woke up. Once the bud started moving, took another two month to open up fully.

This one came in. Low bud

WOW that is huge!!
What Linus said... you clipped it right on the lever and it gave way.
Of course Jerry might be onto something LOL!
Time to practice your Buddhist principle of non attachment... nothing is permanent :p

One of mine has this parentage with emersonii var. Cao Bang.
I asked here once regarding that particular variety but didn't get answers.

Mine came from Quintal Farm. Not sure if they made the cross or they got flasks from Asia.

Does the tags add any confidence to the Identity?

5c74b30ae015d4f626c631d6328cbf89.jpg

61ce02a028cf986bf216b78f9ce540cb.jpg

Well, all is not lost, stuck the neck into wet moss, the bloom is staying open so far for a week now :)

0c2568758396234b1ccf544bc3754a9e.jpg

I find that paphiopedilum flowers have a good staying power as long as you follow the basics like cutting the cut end often to keep it fresh and change the water often.

When I have lots of Paphs in bloom, usually winter, I cut them all and put then together in a vase.
They look great that way. :)

I also cut mine and stick em in a vase, they stay for weeks!!! If you stick them in water right away!! Very beautiful flower!!!

Back