Bifrenaria harrisoniae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenorchid

Hi guys :)
I would like to show you my last blooming.... Bifrenaria harrisoniae, 7 flowers, waxy and fragant:)

bharrisoniae001iw0.jpg

bharrisoniae002tp0.jpg

I've sometimes heard that Bifrenaria's are hard to flower, but I can't understand why. I've had a "harrisoniae" (that's what it was labeled...irregularly flushed with reddish purple, not a very large flower, but incredibly fragrant....I'll try to remember to take and post a pic when it blooms this year) for about 25 years. It has never failed to bloom for me, despite- or maybe because of- near total neglect. Cold and dry in winter, outdoors in summer...no direct sun, except maybe outdoors in the early morning. Its a no fail plant. I expect it to produce buds within the month. Take care, Eric

Very nice flowers Claudia!! I have to agree with Roy: I had (and still have) some of them, just flowered once and then no more :eek: . Jean

Thanks again everyone :)

I've sometimes heard that Bifrenaria's are hard to flower, but I can't understand why. I've had a "harrisoniae" (that's what it was labeled...irregularly flushed with reddish purple, not a very large flower, but incredibly fragrant....I'll try to remember to take and post a pic when it blooms this year) for about 25 years. It has never failed to bloom for me, despite- or maybe because of- near total neglect. Cold and dry in winter, outdoors in summer...no direct sun, except maybe outdoors in the early morning. Its a no fail plant. I expect it to produce buds within the month. Take care, Eric

Eric, it's really interesting, what you say. Cold in winter, aproximately how much? Also the fact you don't place it in full sun is interesting, i've ever read that Bifrenarias live in full exposure, and also mine is yellow for the lot of light received...I'm glad to know that it's able to flower also in a different condition :)

There's another interesting point, this is a pic of a flower opened yesterday, it's hardly different from the first i'v posted, and this one have opened indoor, 'cause i've moved the plant in the kitchen in order to enjoy the blooming... Can be due to the lower light, this difference between the flowers?

bharrisoniae002my8.jpg

LOL Corbin :)
It could be, a third flower is again like the first.... OGM Bifrenaria :D

I keep mine on the floor of my cold room during the winter...its set back from the glass by about a foot or so, with cactus in front of it. It probably gets some direct sun during the shortest days of winter. The night temperatures can drop into the 40's, maybe colder because its on the floor. I water it maybe every 2-3 weeks. I revive it during early spring...if I wanted to, I could start watering in Feb and get earlier blooms, but I get lazy and forget about it. Its outdoors now. I basically think my plant could tolerate anything...I wouldn't be surprised if it would do just as well with totally different culture...its got the constitution of a rock. Take care, Eric

I keep mine on the floor of my cold room during the winter...its set back from the glass by about a foot or so, with cactus in front of it. It probably gets some direct sun during the shortest days of winter. The night temperatures can drop into the 40's, maybe colder because its on the floor. I water it maybe every 2-3 weeks. I revive it during early spring...if I wanted to, I could start watering in Feb and get earlier blooms, but I get lazy and forget about it. Its outdoors now. I basically think my plant could tolerate anything...I wouldn't be surprised if it would do just as well with totally different culture...its got the constitution of a rock. Take care, Eric

thanks Eric, I should try this 'cold' treatment next Winter! Jean

Latest posts

Back