best water ph for phrags... confusion

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrad

Reaction score
Hey All

After a few years of growing, I'm trying to get more scientific, or at least specific, with the purchase of TDS and ph meter....both cheap.

My first question. Is there a specific water ph that works for all species and hybrids or do the species vary? If so, is there a definitive list?

Second, how you yo test for the ph of the media as it ages? run the water thru and do a before and after?

Finally, how big of a deal is water ph compared to light water quality, etc....

I'm also trying to figure this out for paphs as well in case someone is felling really chatty

Thanks in advance!

You can do well by keeping the rhizosphere pH in the 5.5-6.5 range.

Test it with the "pour through" method:
  1. Water you plants very thoroughly with whatever your standard irrigation solution is.
  2. Wait 30 minutes for all of the drainage to end and for the pot to come to chemical equilibrium.
  3. Trickle about 50 ml (a 1.5 ounce shot glass works well) of pure (distilled or RO) water over the surface and collect the drainage.
That's what you test for pH. You may be surprised how little the applied solution affects that.

As to your TDS meter, don't rely on it for absolute numbers, but it can still help you control your solutions. READ THIS

Latest posts

Back