Best place to buy shade cloth?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently have 50% white shade cloth on my greenhouse. It is custom-made with grommets spaced I believe every 2 feet. Noticed it’s time to be replaced, as we leave it up all year even in the winter. Any suggestions on the best place to buy it? Also would you suggest woven coordinated shade cloth and why? As I stated earlier this stays up in the winter and get snowed on. Thanks for your help. Open to any advice that one might have.

Aluminet's intrinsic benefit is far less heat generation. Shade cloths work by both reflecting and absorbing solar energy, converting it to heat. In order from mostly heat to mostly reflection - black (most energy is absorbed and converted to heat), green, beige, white, with aluminet (almost all reflection and very little heat generation).

That actually allows you to put it up inside the structure, allowing the snow to slide off the roof more easily.

Ok I’ll check percentages next time I go there. Can probably be ordered on line.

I recommend a 60% aluminet shade cloth. That goes along with my triple wall poly-carbonate roof. That has 80 % transmission.
You do have to consider the entire sandwich. I take the shade cloth off for the months of Nov. Dec. Jan. The angle of the sun is low enough so the plants do not get too much light. Also it allows the snow to slide off the roof. Here in Missouri, we have to put the shade cloth outside of the greenhouse to keep the heat outside. Aluminet can be easily sewn on a home sewing machine. I sew a casing in the bottom edges and put a pipe in the casing to tie the edge down, rather than using grommets. Use Polyester thread to resist sun damage. It lasts about 10 years of 9 months of use. It also makes the poly-carbonate roof last longer.
I have measured the temperature of the aluminet and it does not get hot. It reflects the suns energy. It is knitted so it does not ravel.

Latest posts

Back