Besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioland

Reaction score
'ChillPepper' x 'Colossal' Z6753

PICT0061.jpg

A very select Besseae from OZ. It has a span of 9.2-9.3 cm. Petal width 3 cm. Has great color, form but was damaged by cold and shipment. It has a new bud when it blooms I will post an updated pic.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen or heard of besseae much bigger than this one?

paphioland said:
Has anyone seen or heard of besseae much bigger than this one?

I've bloomed one that was 9.2 and one that was 9.4. Last year I bloomed one out that was 10.3 or 10.4 I don't remember now. I didn't label the plant either so i have no idea which one it is anymore.

lienluu said:
I've bloomed one that was 9.2 and one that was 9.4. Last year I bloomed one out that was 10.3 or 10.4 I don't remember now. I didn't label the plant either so i have no idea which one it is anymore.

Cool Lien, that is incredible! How was the color and form on the 10+ plant??? Do you remember the cross or have a pic?? Can't wait to see it when it blooms again!

Heather said:
Definitely post when the next bud flowers, as it's sort of hard to see the flower through the measuring tape. :poke:

I will. I just took a pic as I took it out of the box. It took a small beating in transit. I will def post a pic Heather! I am actually excited to see.

lienluu said:

Is your 10+ the biggest you have heard of Lien????

Heres one from Ecuagenera: 11 cm. I think they have had bigger as well.

Notkovachiibutinteresting.jpg

Wow, I think that's the largest I've seen.

Not that I'm saying that larger is always better, unless you are looking for awards. Beautiful bloom, either way!

- Matt

Heather said:
Bigger is not always better!

Suuuure Heather:p

My biggest has been 10cm x 8cm, and can be seen here for size reference:
mar1.jpg

It came from H. P. Norton's line of breeding.

Definitely post a pic of the next flower!!

Jon

SlipperFan said:
I wonder how big 'Colossal' was.

I have asked terry before. It was in the 9 cm range not bigger than the best of this new crop

The biggest AOS awarded one was 9.2cm horizontal. I've heard of 11+cm out of OZ, although I haven't seen it to confirm. I think that a flower that large probably loses some of its charm, unless the petals gain an appropriate amount of width. Personally, I'd rather have a 9cm flower with very wide petals than a 13 cm one with narrow petals.

Back