besseae hydro log?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone in my orchid club a few years back was mentioning that they had heard about someone who was growing quite successfully, phrag besseae on a hydro log made out of two floral foam blocks end-to-end and covered with a layer of sphagnum moss, with besseae on the outside. Has anyone done/seen/heard about this method and tried it themselves?

very curious,...........

There's a grower in my society that sort of mounts his bess. as they climb up. I think he does use something like what you described. He brought in a besseae album last week, blooming, that looked very happy. I think they'd do fine this way as long as they received enough water.

I can see it working very well if the hydrolog is always sitting in water....Eric

I haven't seen it done that way, but I did see where Howard Gunn made a half pipe out of cork bark (it curls into a tube naturally) stuck one end in the pot, filled it with moss, and let the besseae climb up in it. I'm doing something similar too, and it seems to be working.

Back