besseae & hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Ok, help time. Since I dont have success with besseae and hybrids, could I please have a few brief cultural comments by those who do grow them well.
I doesn't matter if you conflict with one ane other, I can follow the suggestions that will fit into my current growing conditions the best.
I do have a Mem Dick Clements that is growing & I have flowered it but it is now not co-operating.
Roy

Depends on which besseae you have. If it's not Haven x Smokin' you have no hope and should send it to me. :poke:
No seriously, [it's so hard for me to say that word], I grow my besseae hybrids in an apartment w/ great light and air flow. I grow in trays of flowing water that was R.O. but now have fertilizers added. I use mixed medias to give the roots choice of what they prefer.

I've only got one besseae, but a gob of besseae hybrids. The trick for me to keep them blooming great is to keep them wet, wet, wet. I've also upped the fertilizer this year and they look good. 125-150 ppmN. I just switched them over to s/h a couple of months ago, and they just starting to put out the new root growth. They loved it in spagnum, but I kept letting them dry out a little too much. They seem happier now in s/h. They get high light in my greenhouse with great air movement. I don't have any problems with rot.

My temps are a low of say, 54 in the winter at night to highs of 90 during the day in the summer.

think wet...........all of mine just wanted to sit in water. Even my half caudatum type one happened to do better sitting in water (I heard not all are that way though).

Overall, I find besseae hybrids to be about the easiest of phrags (therefore, about the easiest of orchids) to grow and bloom. Lots of water, good light....that's about it. Mem Dick Clements, Sgt Eric, most clones of Eric Young.....They tolerate a wide temp range, so it doesn't matter if you have cool or warmer conditions...thanks to besseae, they don't need intense sun. How many plants? My guess is that you just have a bum plant or two. While most are easy, you do get duds...my Rosalie Dixler grows well, but is a waste of my time...and I don't care about orchid registrars...Rosalie Dixler is the same as Dick Clements. Everyone raves about Grande...my Grande has never bloomed, and I got it as a multigrowth, large plant over 12 years ago...no luck...no wonder I got it for free......I'd say just get a few other phrags of the type you like....most will bloom...then chuck the rest. Better yet, just give them away...they are , of course, easy to bloom...............Eric

Overall, I find besseae hybrids to be about the easiest of phrags (therefore, about the easiest of orchids) to grow and bloom. Lots of water, good light....that's about it. Mem Dick Clements, Sgt Eric, most clones of Eric Young.....They tolerate a wide temp range, so it doesn't matter if you have cool or warmer conditions...thanks to besseae, they don't need intense sun. How many plants? My guess is that you just have a bum plant or two. While most are easy, you do get duds...my Rosalie Dixler grows well, but is a waste of my time...and I don't care about orchid registrars...Rosalie Dixler is the same as Dick Clements. Everyone raves about Grande...my Grande has never bloomed, and I got it as a multigrowth, large plant over 12 years ago...no luck...no wonder I got it for free......I'd say just get a few other phrags of the type you like....most will bloom...then chuck the rest. Better yet, just give them away...they are , of course, easy to bloom...............Eric

As soon as you give the 12 year-no-bloomer away, you know what will happen. Bloom!

ok, thanks folks, I'll give them another go with 'wet' and some new plants. I see others growing them so well around me and thats what is so frustrating.
Eric M, your besseae grow and flower, mine don't. My Grandes grow like weeds and flower brilliantly. Maybe they don't like NY. Like besseaes dont like me.
Thanks again for all your help.

roy

Back