Quantcast

bellatulum x leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Trithor

Chico (..... the clown)
Reaction score
It might blur the species lines, but it is a lovely hybrid, one that combines the better traits of both parents. All too often you look at a hybrid and have to admit that it is not an improvement on either, this is not one of those. I am one of the first to condemn these hybrids, but in all honesty, S Gratrix is an improvement, and better than a lot of fake godefroyae and bellatulum masquerading as pure species.
(Ok, now I am going to duck into a bunker to get away from the incoming!)

Jason Fischer

www.orchidweb.com
Reaction score
To clear up some confusion, this is a hybrid called S.Gratrix. It is actually one of the most important brachy hybrids around! S.Gratrix flowers, on a good plant, are much larger than either parent. Plus, leucochilum can't grow well intermediate or cool, which is why it is important to put bellatulum into it, which is a very cool tolerant species.

Plus, this is a good parent to use in novelty breeding, such as onto complex.

Hope this helps!

Jason

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
To clear up some confusion, this is a hybrid called S.Gratrix. It is actually one of the most important brachy hybrids around! S.Gratrix flowers, on a good plant, are much larger than either parent. Plus, leucochilum can't grow well intermediate or cool, which is why it is important to put bellatulum into it, which is a very cool tolerant species.

Plus, this is a good parent to use in novelty breeding, such as onto complex.

Hope this helps!

Jason
Yes. Thanks.

papheteer

Reaction score
I think that S. Gratrix is a good hybrid. I've seen a few nice ones! Bellatulum and leucochilum are quite distinct so it's easy to tell hybrids from species.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Agreed, the hybrid S. Gratrix is easy enough to tell from either parent.

I like the hybrid, have one myself. Yours is quite nice.