bellatulum x leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why that might be a problem.......................

Its a great flower.

No problem only thought that it looks like that, maybe we see from time to time crosses which are sold as pure kinds. This is what I thought when I look at this pic

No problem only thought that it looks like that, maybe we see fro tim to time crosses which are sold as pure kinds. This is what I thought when I look at this pic

I was being very sarcastic, sorry. It is a big problem in my mind.
While I love the flowers I cringe every time I see hybrids like this as it will probable end up being sold (or worse, used as a parent) as a species. Bring on genetic testing which can sort out these 'pseudo-species'. This is NO reflection on ICE.

I totally agree....... It looks very close to true species...... Either one actually. A few more like this and we will see plants being sold as bellatulum var. Leucochilum because you get bellatulum spots and a white pouch. Very lovly flower though. Just keep the right tag in it please.

I was being very sarcastic, sorry. It is a big problem in my mind.
While I love the flowers I cringe every time I see hybrids like this as it will probable end up being sold (or worse, used as a parent) as a species. Bring on genetic testing which can sort out these 'pseudo-species'. This is NO reflection on ICE.

COULDN'T.......... AGREE.......... MORE.

Seems to me that taxonomic designations are so screwed up that it's very
hard to be absolutely sure what almost any orchid is/was/will be. That's
for the taxonomists to decide. In the meantime, I just love this flower.

Nice bloom. I agree with the taxonomic concerns raised above, but there is not too much that can be done about it now. I am a bit confused why leuco would have been used as opposed to godefroyae, as the white pouch is unlikely to have come through in the progeny?

Leuco could be a much larger flower then a godefroyae, maybe size then?

This cross has been make a million yrs ago and re-made over and over no fear here anymore from a Paph S. Gratrix

SK, would you mind explaining the reference to Paph. S. Gratrix? I don't
understand the post and feel there's something to learn about crosses.

I agree about genetic testing, but might the cost be prohibitive?

SK, would you mind explaining the reference to Paph. S. Gratrix? I don't
understand the post and feel there's something to learn about crosses.

I agree about genetic testing, but might the cost be prohibitive?

S Gratrix is bellatulum x godefroyae
leucochilum is considered to be a variety of godefroyae, distinguished by it having a white pouch (broad strokes), so as far as registration goes,. leuco x bel is also S Gratrix, of which there are countless examples in greenhouses around the world as it has been made and remade so many times.
There are other differences between leuco and godefroyae, but getting into that discussion is a minefield I would rather leave to the experts.

Thank you, Trithor. I can understand your explanation. I probably couldn't
follow an "expert". I have a dear friend who has a PhD in botany and he's
given up following the various directions of orchid taxonomy.

Back