Behind the Scenes at The Huntington

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Very nice! Thank you.
End of first page a thaianum?

Possibly. I didn't actually pull and tags and look at them because that is really a no no there. People do that and mess up their orchids and tropical plants.

Because they are not a production facility all the orchids next to each other are not necessarily the same. There are a lot of just a few types.

I'm luck enough to have about a dozen from them in my collection.:clap:

That sandy hybrid is nice! Do you remember what it is?

No. Next time I'll have to look closer. Brandon wasn't there at the time I was. So the person who gave us a tour was not really an orchid person. He takes care of the tropicals. He spend 1.5 hours in his greenhouse and gave us 20 minutes in the orchid house. He said orchids get too much publicity.:eek:

I'll go back again.

You're welcome. Yeah, sorry.

If you ever come to LA you have to check it out yourself.

Many years ago, my husband and I visited the Huntington Library. He to do research and I to wander the beautiful grounds. That was before I got into orchids - I don't even know if they had an orchid collection then. But if I ever get there again, I will!

Many years ago, my husband and I visited the Huntington Library. He to do research and I to wander the beautiful grounds. That was before I got into orchids - I don't even know if they had an orchid collection then. But if I ever get there again, I will!

They have always had orchids. But in I think 2010 or so they were given the collection of S. Robert Weltz after he passed. He was from Santa Barbra, had a seat on the stock exchange and collected primarily Paphs. That was somewhere around 5,000 orchids. His orchids were the tops of the time from what everybody says.

That has given them the foundation to do what they are doing today. In the spring and fall they have plant sales. You can pick up almost any kind of plant imaginable and also some orchids.

The "thaianum" is a straight niveum.

Thanks for all the photographs!

Some amazing plants there especially the multi's. That stonei is incredible. That is a quality lowii as well. Thanks for posting.

Just a tip. You can add more than one photo in a post. In fact you can add 15 photos before you have to start another post.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tour. Brandon was one of the guest speakers at the Paph Gulid this past January. He gave us a computer slide show tour of the paph house and how he has all the benches laid out. Different groups for different locations from one end to he other. Some what scientific based on humidity, light and temperature requirements for the different groups.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That stonei and PEOY is just ridiculous!!! :clap::clap::clap:

IMG_20170517_151735.jpg

I love this, whatever it is..

Latest posts

Back