Beginning of rose season in Taipei, yay!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
Roses never becomes dormant in subtropical Taipei, but they go somewhat "sleepy" during the intense summer heat. It's autumn now, the perfect time for pruning and repotting :)

IMG_7061.JPG

They are Charlotte, Rouge Royale, Abraham Darby, Black Lady, Oklahoma and Rhapsody in Blue. :)
Winter in Taipei is cool and very wet. After pruning, the dormant eyes are breaking really fast in such a weather. I'll take more photos when they have grown nicely.

Here are some photos from my Clotilde Soupert last year in December. It is my favorite polyantha :) Cant wait for the first flush of bloom this year! :D

31.jpg

32.jpg

Gorgeous- I love the old-fashioned very full blooms! And the color is delicious!! Is it fragrant? This one reminds me I need to get more David Austin roses-his roses also have this very excellent full shape! You have a real beauty!!

It is fragrant, the smell is very similar to Souvenir de la Malmaison or Sharifa Asma (smells like cosmetic powder). Well, those two also happen to be similar color! Thank you ^^

Yes, the plants can grow very well in Indonesia too. But some don't perform to their full potential (much lower petal count, smaller bloom size, washed out color etc). Some English Roses have grown to be very big plants, but yet to show their first bloom....

Ah, I see... Roses are grown in many parts of the Cameron highlands of Malaysia. But as soon as they are brought to the lowlands, most perish, or grow weakly and exhibit the symptoms that you mentioned.... Now rose season is just starting in Adelaide. Will post pics soon..

Here are the roses after potting. They are growing really fast. Such a great
thing to see esp. when the paphs are growing so slow. :D The first flush of
blooms will open around December, I can't wait :)
roses1.jpg

This is Oklahoma
roses-oklahoma.jpg

Abraham Darby
79-1.jpg

Some new bands
80.jpg

Vineyard Song, a polyantha with small but fragrant blooms
81.jpg

Great-more rose pics! Hardy- your rose bushes are growing very well since repotting, and I am looking forward to seeing the blooms! The Vineyard Song is a real cutie-even better that it is fragrant.

Thanks, the first flowers will open in a few more weeks. Will post more photos then. :)

Paphioboy, I think crinkly leaves may have some different causes, but often it's thrips or aphids. With thrips infestation you also get brown patches on the outer layer of the leaves, the stems will have similar brown lesion as they grow and mature. Every time there's new bud starting its growth spurt I try to spray with insecticide (abamectin) to control the thrips. The ones I have here that attack the stems and leaves are light yellow, while those that eat the flowers are either yellow or dark.

Latest posts

Back