Bear Damage to Greenhouses

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
Back wall of 1
2007_0924Damage0019.jpg

Exit #2
2007_0924Damage0010.jpg

Some inside damage
2007_0924Damage0005.jpg

OMFG!!!! It destroyed almost everything... I hope nothing of value or great interest... I hope everything is restored!!!! Good luck!!!

A bear came thru the walls [real wooden ones] to get at some honey when we had a house in Margaretville. I don't think that one would keep a curious racoon out. I hope you didn't lose too much.

Thanks All!!!
Hopefully a Business loss at tax time. Homeowners doesn't cover damage done by animals!!!

It was a mother & 1 or 2 cubs.

You've got a business/resellers license? How do you grow orchids in those g.h's during New York's winters?

So sorry, I know what you're going thru! :( It will be interesting to see what happens on the insurance end. I had something go out on my furnace this past Feb., it just happened to be the coldest weekend of the season. Lost everything - I didn't bother to contact the insurance company figuring homeowners wouldn't cover. Thru encouragement of others - what did I have to lose? I had about $4,000 in plants. Starting with my agent, he thought they would cover some portion after the deductible was met. An adjuster came out & there were a couple of parts that indicated a claim but there were more parts of the policy that said no coverage. If I want my GH covered it's an additional seperate rider in addition to the homeowners. If I were claiming it as a business, it would be covered but the premiums are astronomical for a hobby grower. Keep us posted & good luck!

I lost around $5,000.00 worth of plants & the 2 Greenhouse covers
@ 80.00e + s/h to replace.

If the bear did not eat the plants?( did he?)
Then all you have to do is repot them.
From now on you should have two tags in each pot if you still prefer the hard type. Otherwise one flexible one is good enough.
Use those plastic electric wire bundle ties, punch a hole in the soft tags and tie the tags to the orchids (this way you don't have to guess which tag belong to which plant.

They look like this:
http://www.actfs.com/CatalogProducts.asp?nProductsID=53

Hein - after possibly 3 bears have trampled the plants, what kinda shape are they going to be in?

Dot,
I'm getting my hunting license this year. (LOL)

Heather,
I live in the country,up until last year, no neighbors for 1/2 mile in any direction. They were actually here 1st. I've lived in the same area all my life & never had problems with bears like this. In 30 years I have seen 3, 1 cub & 2 large adults & all 3 where in the last 5 years. Alot of my neighbors say the bear population has grown alot in the last few years.

Ron,
Thanks

Latest posts

Back