"Bayers" - Baby Bio wipes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have. It's a pretty thin horticulture oil mix. If in doubt I'd apply it with a soft cloth. In my experience I had no damage. I used to grow catasetum/cycnoches and mormodes when I grew under lights.

When I feel the need to clean leaves I use unscented baby wipes - Huggies Natural Care since that is what I have around.

For anyone with allergies that cause itchy watery eyes they are a great way to gently clean around the eyes, and I know from experience that the fluid doesn't sting or burn if it gets in my eyes, and they are intended for babies' delicate skin afterall. So it occurred to me that they probably wouldn't harm plants either. I'm a chemist with a horticulture degree so that wasn't exactly just a guess. Minimal residue that will rinse off easily, just the slightest shine, quite effective.

I'm not familiar with the Bayer product, but anything that leaves a heavy shiny residue or has precautions about the underside of leaves doesn't seem like a good choice to me. And I would never use milk, or mayonnaise as I have also seen recommended - great ways to feed fungi and bacteria.

Ah, here seems to speak the voice of reason/science...and thanks for the tip re my itchy allergy-eyes! ;)

I've hitherto just wiped the leaves first with a damp (handwarm water) cloth...then with a dry one. All the possibilities sugested in this thread make me feel quite primitive... But, hmmm, I'm quite tempted to give the unscented baby wipes a go!

Kind regards,
Jens

Latest posts

Back