Basket for armeniacum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of our old member, JPMC showed this way for armeniacum, he took some incredible pictures of his plant.I thought I try, I killed several armeniacums in pot. I seems to work, it is a one year cultured plant, in basket, mix of pumice, bark and a little sphagnum( 1/5 part).

Attachments

• 20220222_141727.jpg
    20220222_141727.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220222_141735.jpg
    20220222_141735.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220222_141646.jpg
    20220222_141646.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I had a handful of Paphs in baskets but put them all back in pots this year. They were doing well but the wood they are using now doesn't hold up like the old teak baskets did and the bottoms started falling out after only 2-3 years in use.

I had a handful of Paphs in baskets but put them all back in pots this year. They were doing well but the wood they are using now doesn't hold up like the old teak baskets did and the bottoms started falling out after only 2-3 years in use.
Tony,, several years ago, I purchased a board of “plastic lumber” and made my own. I used the stuff made from recycled PETE beverage bottles, not PVC. Cuts like butter with a circular saw, it non-toxic and unaffected by anything, and the plants’ roots clung to it, which I took as a good sign of compatibility.

Tony,, several years ago, I purchased a board of “plastic lumber” and made my own. I used the stuff made from recycled PETE beverage bottles, not PVC. Cuts like butter with a circular saw, it non-toxic and unaffected by anything, and the plants’ roots clung to it, which I took as a good sign of compatibility.

I might have to give that a shot.

Looks good. I think you will have a great plant in another few seasons. I finally got mine to do well. The trick was the addition of oyster shells into the compost, and powdered lime twice a year. Two buds coming right now. Fingers crossed it flowers well.

Attachments

• ArmApr.JPG
    ArmApr.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 26
Looks good. I think you will have a great plant in another few seasons. I finally got mine to do well. The trick was the addition of oyster shells into the compost, and powdered lime twice a year. Two buds coming right now. Fingers crossed it flowers well.
Beautiful and chunky leaves!! So...have they made it to open bloom eventually?

Sadly, not well. It was outside all winter in the same location, seemed quite happy, so I just left it in the same spot for the buds to develop. It grows in a very exposed position, and one day I noticed that the buds were a bit fried from the afternoon sun. That put the kibosh on any good flowers, so I cut them off. Next year I hope! And I'll move it to a safer location for their development.

Friend struggled with his orchids in the new, cheap-o baskets so I bought a teak board and in an hour with a bandsaw cut enough pieces to tack together into baskets. Cost under $25 to make a dozen baskets. Sorry I don’t have photos. They’ve lasted 6 years and counting.

Latest posts

Back