barbatum and callosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
I've got these two plants in flower right now. The barbatum was from Michael Ooi last year, as barbatum giganteum (giant leaf type). This years flower is not as nice as last years (posted on ST somewhere), but still ver colourful. Is it a barbatum or already a callosum? I don't know.
The other one was from Holger Perner this spring. He sold it as callosum var. warnerianum, a name he prefers over var. sublaeve. Both flowers are roughly the same size, i.e. small.

Attachments

• Paph callosum warnerianum.JPG
    Paph callosum warnerianum.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Paph barbatum giganteum.JPG
    Paph barbatum giganteum.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 54
They both look like callosum to me but with the second (the one on the right) looks sort of like barbatum.
Even the first one, it looks like a "strange" callosum with those petals. color and marking wise.

Then, again, both species can be variable and some (or should I say many) seem very "muddy" making it difficult to tell apart or at least to me, very confusing.
Can you post the leaves of each?
Not that that's going to help out a lot, but just curious to see them. :)

Whatever they might be, congrats on the pretty flowers and thanks for sharing!

Your sources are somewhat telling.

Michal Ooi is based in Malaysia and has (had) direct access to plants from the Malay peninsula (either callosum var sublaeve or barbatum). I doubt if he would take the trouble to bring in a bunch of big Vietnamese callosum just to make a grande barbatum.

Holger's operation in Southern China has access to all the big callosums from places where "callosum are callosum" so if he has plants he wants to call subleave he would have had to bring them up from Malaysia. But the brown pouch color on the left flower is not very sublaeve like despite the downswept petals.

These two species are very interbred (both naturally as well as nursery). I can comment too much on the callosum, but the barbatum is about as 'barbatum' as can be expected. Shape and segment proportion is strongly characteristic. A nice barbatum.

Latest posts

Back