Bamboo

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hakone

Reaction score
Phyllostachys aureocaulis harbin inversa

Phyllostachys atrovaginata

Chimonobambusa quadrangularis

Chimonobambusa quadrangularis (The square bamboo) The culms are square.

This bamboo isn't as beautiful as some but it's interesting and wild populations are not common in Việt Nam, I have found only one stand of this species.

The second and third pics are of a wild population. Sorry the pics don't do it justice.

btw. Collectors had been through the area only a few weeks before our visit and removed all the orchids.

Regards, Mick

I love bamboo...unfortunately, it loves me too much. I made the mistake of planting Phyllostachys nigra in a corner of my property, after reading that it was "less invasive". Well, in just a few years the canes are now 15 feet or more in height, and spreads all over. However, I have the perfect means of control: steamed, raw, but sauteed is the best! I ate a lot of bamboo this spring.

Beautiful bamboo! I love seeing it! :clap:

My father learned the lesson of its invasiveness many years ago in northern Michigan. He brought some to his home there from southern California believing it would survive only until the cold weather arrived. The roots took hold, however, and the following summer he had canes over 20' tall (6+ meters) and a root system which nearly destroyed the south-facing basement wall and foundation of his home! He had a heck of a time removing all traces of the bamboo. Sprouts kept returning for another three years! :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back