Baby spice in bud!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since being back from Virginia where I dragged my plants, I haven't had many good-looking or flowering things. But, when watering plants just now I saw that the paph spicerianum (smaller form) that I picked up at the STOS Fall Auction maybe a year ago has two flower buds! :D I love spicerianum so this is helping me smile when things aren't so hot.
The plant is in a four inch square pot and the old spike was only about 4" tall, and the first bud is already that high. Four maybe five growths total and much more compact than the biiig dimensions one I got from rices orchids. I believe all the plants were purchased from a Hawaiian wholesaler Lehua Orchids or at least the original seedlings

u7u6yge2.jpg

Paph spicerianum 'Fat Boy' x 'Taiwan Truffle'

First bud is in middle, and second is mid right tucked in where the two long leaves come together
I'm sure it will be very cute when it opens

http://i.piccy.info/i8/b2301c94518f909c5987e88bde4c6178/1380399732/82494/569964/DSCN0315_800.jpg

This looks like a sibling with the same cross name

Very nice!! Do you grow this at the windowsill? or just placing there for photograph?

A couple of nice flowers to brighten up the rainy days ahead. Gotta love it.

I tried getting small stakes in there but there were too many roots in the way. I found the florist wire while dumping yesterday but of course it spins around a bit
The smaller spike needed some 'upright' as it was growing out at a 45* angle; the other one isn't too bad

I found a lot more small diatomite than I remembered having

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very nice Elizabeth Ann Buckleberry for the background.
Nice choice. Nice strainer...

In the first update pic showing the whole plant, it's the large plant upper right in the big white strainer :) it flowered three weeks or so ago, but I wasn't out in that room looking closely and only saw the expiring stem/flowers :( I set the strainer into a Chinese take-out plate/holder so it could soak up some from the bottom. Very nice plant (and strainer) :)

Clark, it looks like I'm going to be working in Bridgeton NJ, far south; I'll be close to the eagles area if you want to go check them out again, I still have some time now

I have used lots of plates and lids to hold small pots, either to hold water or just protect windowsills. Yogurt containers also work well for s/h

I need to find some good use for all the takeout stuff! :)

Latest posts

Back