Autumn species

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin, what a abundance of lovely flowers.....one is nicer than the other ! This makes it hard to say which I like best....maybe your P. charlies and P. helenae. 👌
.......heard that true daoense are as big as tranliemianum in plant size.....

I had a look in 'Die Orchidee' 06/2017. There is an article about Paph. gratrixianum and its varieties. With regard to Paph. daoense measurments of the plants are given. Leaves between 2,5-4 cm wide and between 10-20 (24) cm long. I measured my straight P. gratrixianum and its leaves are between 2-2,5 cm wide and up to 30-32 cm long. So I think there is a visible difference in plant size.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind comments!

All are wonderful, my favourite is the last one, I have never seen this villosum form before!
I was also surprised by the green dorsal. Never have seen a villosum like that before, too.

Martin, what a abundance of lovely flowers.....one is nicer than the other ! This makes it hard to say which I like best....maybe your P. charlies and P. helenae. 👌

I had a look in 'Die Orchidee' 06/2017. There is an article about Paph. gratrixianum and its varieties. With regard of Paph. daoense measurments of the plants are given. Leaves between 2,5-4 cm wide and between 10-20 (24) cm long. I measured my straight P. gratrixianum and it leaves are between 2-2,5 cm wide and up to 30-32 cm long. So I think there is a visible difference in plant size.

Insitu pics show daoense growing on rock cliffs Like helenae or henry. My thoughts were that perhaps the growing conditions in nature are the reason for the compact size. And that under the condition of our culture the plants grow larger, but i heard that the true daoense Type stay compact, also in culture.

lots of nice things.
The villosum is very dark.
Thanks, yes that villosum is special. I was very lucky to find it. Last year i did a sib with normal laichauense, this year i selfed it. I am excited how the offsprings will turn out.

.............And that under the condition of our culture the plants grow larger, but i heard that the true daoense Type stay compact, also in culture........
Every plant has its own genes and also reacts until a certain degree to its environment. I think also P. daoense. For example, I bought two P. godefroyae from Popow two years ago. They had relativ long leaves. Now after two years on my window-sill their new grown leaves grew only to 2/3 of the lenght of the older ones. The plants react to more light other temperature etc.

Latest posts

Back