Australia fire emergency

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought, it wouldn't last long before the two loggerheads of 'IPCC Critics' would turn up here, too.....and here we go!

Bertold at least should be praised for showing some restraint - his comparison with the firestorms in Hamburg and Dresden seems actually quite apt in the current situation.

As for Stone: judge for yourselves. I, for my part, gather that "most normal rational people" wouldn't be too happy with a PM first making cutbacks in the rescue services, not meeting with their managements to discuss the implications, going on holiday during one of the most disastrous fire catastrophes in the country's history, and then showing up on your doorstep to 'show sympathy' in a feeble attempt to better his media image! I shall abstain from commenting on Stone's contemptous, prejudiced characterization of his compatriots.

Last edited:
I thought, it wouldn't last long before the two loggerheads of 'IPCC Critics' would turn up here, too.....and here we go!

Bert-h-old at least should be praised for showing some restraint - his comparison with the firestorms in Hamburg and Dresden seems actually quite apt in the current situation.

I would like to post much more about that subject but I don't know what :)
I will only hope that the valley in the Blue Mountains with Wollemia nobilis, my favorite conifer, will not be destroyed by the fire.

Last edited:
No it's not. They are toothless, bong-smoking, ill-educated, ferals most probably non-working most of their lives and would probably hate ''conservative'' government as a matter of course. Most normal rational people caught up in this catastrophe do not react this way.

Wow! What an absolutely uncalled for and uncompassionate comment. This classist and borderline racist language is totally inappropriate. “Ferals?” Are you serious? Mods do you really tolerate this? Speaking about people experiencing loss in this way - you should be ashamed.

I would like to post much more about that subject but I don't know what :)
I will only hope that the valley in the Blue Mountains with Wollemia nobilis, my favorite conifer, will not be destroyed by the fire.

The only thing I have read on the Wollemi Pine is that there was concern that 3 of the 4 populations had been burnt. Although nothing has been confirmed as it is too remote and there is a lot of smoke in the area, so cannot see from the air.

In 2000 my sister and bro in law lost their 4200 sq ft custom home in a fire in so cal u.s....that was an insurance beurocratic nightmare took 2 years to get any kind compensation, that was a terrible loss... nothing like losing a life or causing a whole animal or insect species to go extinct..... damn!!!

Bertold at least should be praised for showing some restraint - his comparison with the firestorms in Hamburg and Dresden seems actually quite apt in the current situation.

As for Stone: judge for yourselves. I, for my part, gather that "most normal rational people" wouldn't be too happy with a PM first making cutbacks in the rescue services, not meeting with their managements to discuss the implications, going on holiday during one of the most disastrous fire catastrophes in the country's history, and then showing up on your doorstep to 'show sympathy' in a feeble attempt to better his media image! I shall abstain from commenting on Stone's contemptous, prejudiced characterization of his compatriots.

You have no idea what either you or I are talking about. My comment was directed exclusively to the rabid, frothing-at-the-mouth reaction to the PM who was simply trying to do his duty of making himself available to the victims. The fact that he took a holiday during the fires was ill advised - politically. The fact that politicians of any persuasion show up at such events is ALWAYS political and to be expected. It has little consequence. I entirely stick by my comments of the reaction of these disgusting knuckle draggers given that the vast majority of the victims are thankful for any attention by authority. The reason that this particular fiasco gained so much attention was completely due to the opportunistic politicization and click bait of the media. I am equally - yes equally - critical of the disgusting propaganda video put out by the government spouting the mobilization of the ADF with cringe worthy dance music playing in the background. Morrison deserves every criticism he gets for it. It was absolutely vial garbage.

Wow! What an absolutely uncalled for and uncompassionate comment. This classist and borderline racist language is totally inappropriate. “Ferals?” Are you serious? Mods do you really tolerate this? Speaking about people experiencing loss in this way - you should be ashamed.

The mere fact that you chose the term ''borderline racist'' illustrates that your level of understanding is still in an embryonic stage concerning this subject and not really worthy of reply given that they are the same ''race'' as me. As for ''classist'', you have no knowledge at all of my background or who I have and do associate with but for your information I tend to judge people on their character not their ''class''.

For wildlife lovers, this article discusses how numerous species are now likely to become extinct from the widespread fires.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...angered-species-extinction?CMP=share_btn_link

Thank you for this article - the tragedy of this situation and the potential loss of so many species has been on my mind. The article mentions one orchid, Thelymitra cyanapicata. Are there others that are known to be at risk at this point? I'm not so familiar with what Orchidaceae species are endemic to Australia, but I suppose it includes my beloved Aussie Dens :( Hoping for better days ahead for all those in the fire's path.

Thank you for this article - the tragedy of this situation and the potential loss of so many species has been on my mind. The article mentions one orchid, Thelymitra cyanapicata. Are there others that are known to be at risk at this point? I'm not so familiar with what Orchidaceae species are endemic to Australia, but I suppose it includes my beloved Aussie Dens :( Hoping for better days ahead for all those in the fire's path.

Mankind doesn't need as many species of orchids to survive. But I love as many species as possible.

Orchids on the other hand would definitely have been better off without mankind!
Be careful please. In Central Europe, orchids mostly follow the humans made cultural landscape, because most of them hate deep and dark woods.

That means no men no orchids. Some people say no orchids no men, but that is wrong.
But you can say the same about orchids as about poodles, a life without poodles is possible but pointless.

Last edited:
The mere fact that you chose the term ''borderline racist'' illustrates that your level of understanding is still in an embryonic stage concerning this subject and not really worthy of reply given that they are the same ''race'' as me. As for ''classist'', you have no knowledge at all of my background or who I have and do associate with but for your information I tend to judge people on their character not their ''class''.

I think you may be mistaken but dragging out your name calling into as many words or syllables as possible doesn’t make it valid in any way. Who you are or where you come from do not remove the racist and classist connotations from your words either. But surely I could never contend with your superior intelligence - get a life.

I think you may be mistaken but dragging out your name calling into as many words or syllables as possible doesn’t make it valid in any way. Who you are or where you come from do not remove the racist and classist connotations from your words either. But surely I could never contend with your superior intelligence - get a life.
Your name is well chosen

I am not 100% sure of other potential orchid species that may be at risk from these fires. I expect there may be other terrestrial species that could be in trouble as there are many species that have a very localised distribution and are at risk of being wiped out. Although many terrestrial orchids would be dormant at this time of year underground, so hopefully they are safe from the fires. I wouldn't think there would be any Dendrobiums at risk as most of the species that occur in these fire ravaged areas tend to be fairly widely distributed. As the article details, there are plenty of other threatened non-orchid species that have very limited distributions that could be in a lot of trouble. The sheer scale of these fires have never been seen before and will only continue to grow over the coming months. The bulk of their ranges could be burnt out.

On Kangaroo Island they are reporting that around 25,000 of the 50,000 koalas have been killed. It is the only population of Koalas that is free from Clamydia.

David, is there anything Americans as individuals
can do to help?

Donations I guess. It is astonishing how much money is being raised around the world. Celeste Barber has helped raise $45 million alone. Social media has its good points. :)

I don't know, but was there a wrong forest management in the potential fire areas in the last decade, so that the today fires have to much food?
That was a common failing in Mediterranean and Californian regions. But administration learned.

Latest posts

Back