Aussie Gold

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know most paphanatics like to make their own mixes, but I've had "INCREDIBLE" results from Aussie Gold for all my orchid types. I hope someone else on here can relate to this. However I need to ask these questions out of curiousity and for future referrence:

Has anyone used this mix for Mexipediums? If so, how did it go?

Ready for the flaming that comes from not making my own mix!:fight:

I have a bag of Aussie Gold. Would you like it? :poke:

Ohhhh....You've been in touch with Marilyn haven't you? hahaha...awesome!

Ok, then, let's be serious about this. Questions:

Did you, by any chance, get more than one plant?
Do you use any other mix than Aussie Gold for anything else (oh yeah, I'm remembering your mix now! That's the one that was all over my shoes! LOL!)
Or is that it?

Answer and then I will respond.

Actually, I haven't spokent to Maritlyn yet. Guess I need a spanking for misleading you. I trying to figure out what to do, hence my questions. ;)

Yes, I use Aussie Gold for all my orchids! I've found that the root systems and general vigor of the plants is INCREDIBLE. By that I mean that every, and I mean every, picture I have posted here was of a plant that bloomed for me after being repotted in Aussie Gold within the last year. By my calculations, it's about a 95% increase in the number of blooming plants from the old mediums I was taught to use by other growers. What they have works for them in their climate/conditions, but I didn't like their mixes as they are work intensive and don't give me the results I like.

I like Aussie Gold so much, that we are to be distributers for them.

And yes, your feet got well acquainted with the stuff. LOL.

They certainly did.

I would ask Marilyn what she thinks when you speak with her. :poke:

I'll bring my bag of Aussie Gold up for you at the next meeting.

I know Jon in SW Ohio uses a similar, peat based mix (but he isn't around here as much as he used to be.)

We have quite a few members here from Virginia - Sue, Zach, Cdub...etc. Maybe they could speak to this?
Now that you are in NH your conditions are VERY different so I wonder if that accounts for some of your success with AG? Just speculating....

Heather-

I think the change in environment and state had quite a bit to do with it. When I had my collection returned to me, there was a lot of repotting and rehab that needed to be done. Thankfully, I think we only lost about 20 plants. In general, I think AG has a well balanced mix and I, in my mind, credit AG for getting my plants back to snuff.

One plant, C. Carl Hausermann, was in Rough shape when I bought it. Perhaps onle 2 viable roots left on it. One year later after being in aussie Gold, there are 5 roots and all of them are healthy.

Mediums are a matter of preference, of course. Whats right for one grower, doesn't work for another. I just like tooting my own horn about the medium I use! LOL.

Anyhow, back to the original question. Yes, I think I will ask Marilyn about AG. Now, if I could only stop thinking about what a great grower I am and actually spend a moment giving her a call...

:)

I use Aussie Gold for all my plants and have had good luck with it so far...although I did lose some Onc and Vanda types in it though I am not sure if that was because of the Aussie Gold or the buyer on E-bay I purchesed them from....they dry out all their plants before they ship them and they all arrived very dry and dehydrated and very few if any roots.....I know they claim that you cannot over water in Aussie Gold LOL but I have found I still need to let my plants dry out before I water again

Do you use the specialty mixes or use the original Aussie Gold? I know that they make different versions for different genera. I have my own version named "Gibsonia Gold" that was concocted in the backyard of one of my orchid friends, who happens to live in Gibsonia. I haven't used it for paphs except one that I purchased at the Susquehanna Orchid show in Aussie Gold a number of years ago.

I've heard that most of the mix actually gets washed out of the pot so the mix you end up with isn't what you start with. True?

I was using just the basic Aussie Gold.....then purchased some seedling mix and used it for compots and did mix some with the regular Aussie Gold for a few seedlings.....this last purchase I got a bag of Paph and Phrag mix and so far I only have a few in it......the seedling mix is much finer of course I have found the regular mix can have to large size diatomite LOL or whatever the rocks are in it.....the paph/phrag mix appears to have more coir or peat or something in it

I always have just a little mix wash out of the pot with the first watering......maybe like a teaspoon full or so nothing extreme.....and I usually just empty out the saucer back into the pot and have not noticed that there is any excessive washout after that

I've heard that most of the mix actually gets washed out of the pot so the mix you end up with isn't what you start with. True?

It's definitely messy if it falls out of the pot. We needed a whole hotel cleaning crew to come in! :rollhappy:

(G. I am just kidding with you - although it did take a lot of people to get it cleaned up but that was on the hotel's side of things....)

Hey, Administratrix, at least I didn't put a fire-cracker in it. That would have been a real mess! ~evil grin~:evil:

As far as what I use: Regular for Cats, Oncs, specialty plants, and Phals. I use the Paph/Phrag mix for those plants. I even use the Paph/Phrag mix for my seedlings as it allows more air than the seedling mix.

Yes there is some wash out, but if you have had a plant in it for long enough to need a repotting, you'll find that there is an decent amount of everything still left. It can even be re-used with new mix in the new pot (obviously only for the same plant).

Finally, I agree that the "can't be over watered" statement is misleading. They should say that the diatomous rock doesn't allow much residual water to remain in the pot and that mix rot really isn't a problem.

I'm glad to see at least a few like it. I know there are a few fans at the NHOS too... Heather :poke:

How would it work for someone like me who is a compulsive over-waterer?!? " Gibsonian Gold" for the love of Pete! Is that like " Ericoninan Gold"?!? :poke:

Ok, I know most paphanatics like to make their own mixes, but I've had "INCREDIBLE" results from Aussie Gold for all my orchid types.:

Would you explain what "Incredible results" are? Otherwise your post just looks like a marketing advertisement.

Latest posts

Back