Aussie Gold

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well GaryB, you actually have a point there. Since I do like the stuff, and think it is worthy of telling others about, I'll explain. When I worked for another grower, his catch all medium was Cedar bark, straight cedar bark packed tightly. Phals and slippers got something different, phals got Pro-mix and slippers got his own formula. On practically every plant, and by that I mean a very large percentage, roots became an issue as there were hardly any left. Most of my collection returned from storage with him in trouble, and since I have used AG I have found great root systems and an increased bloom frequency. So, in essence, I believe that AG was a key factor in rescuing a lot of my collection.

If you want, next time I repot I will take pictures and show you.

I hope that answers your question. I apologize if you fealt that my posting was an advertisement. It certainly wasn't my intention to offend.

I have actually considered experimenting with some of my plants in aussie gold. It is just prohibitly expensive for someone with a large collection. Does anyone know the cheapest way to get it? Is it from the company?

LOL I actually want to start getting premixed stuff. To be honest I am sick of making mix. The soaking washing soaking mixing mixing washing drives me nuts

I just mix the stuff, soak it in R.O. water, drain, soak again, then use. I'm sure it's cheaper than buying premixed if you're making a lot.

I am obssessive about the mix. I soak the bark for a day then I wash the bark under scolding hot water until teh water turns clear. Then I soak again for a day. Then I wash it again. I do this especially if I put any coconut husk in which I use very little. I also wash my lava rock extensively.

I also sift through for crappy bark that hasn't sunk. That is a pain as well

Paphioland: I agree with Eric, you can probably make the stuff fairly easily. I get mine cheap since I have a wholesale ID, but I have to buy a minimum of 100 lbs. BTW, I can't stand having to to all the soaking etc, hence why I bought pre-mixed.

And let me say it again, I'm not offering any kind of paid endorsement of this product. I'm simply trying to give an honest opinion of the mix in use.

Isn't that coir/peat-looking stuff treated (dried in the sun or something) to make it break down much slower? I recall a long explanation at their booth in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago (but I didn't stick around for it, so got the explanation second hand... and promptly forgot it).

I tried OG and decided it's not for me. In a dry environment, it goes dry really fast and gets really really dry. (Don't :poke: please. I know my faults.)

So what exactly is the composition of Aussie Gold? Thanks, Eric

Found this on their site: Ill keep searching for more info.

AG is made from fresh water Diatomite imported from Australia, the finest coir fiber imported from Asia, horticultural charcoal and perlite, and some "secret" ingredients.

Also had a statement on the home page about high silica. A bit more searching and i found this:

Diatomite is composed primarily of Amorphous silicon dioxide (SILICA) containing almost no detectable crystallinity, in particular no cristobalite, tridymite or quartz were detectable, at detection limits of around 0.1%. With at least 15 other major, minor and trace elements, this 100% natural organic media is a biogenic source of silica as found in all life forms.

This rich source of plant available silica is documented to stimulate Self Acquired Resistance (SAR) in plants increasing their resistance to disease. Studies show the slow release of soluble silica promotes, stronger, healthier, higher yielding plants that can mature more quickly. This is the only growing medium that energizes and actually feeds your plants.

In it's non-crystalline form, Diatomite is a non-toxic, non-hazardous and environmentally friendly media. Our product is sterilized during processing so it will not swell, expand or contract and acts as an efficient thermal insulator.

Lightweight and highly absorbent Diatomite can absorb up to 150% of its own weight in water and nutrient, and releases it back to the plant as required. It minimizes leaching and run-off and significantly reduces watering.

Diatomite provides excellent lateral movement of water and nutrient throughout the media, it insulates, aerates and promotes capillary action and because it is multi-faceted, air is able to penetrate to the plants root zone without difficulty.

The PH of Diatomite is about 5.7 and has an electrical conductivity EC of 0.05 mS/cm, indicating little or no salt content making it an excellent growing medium for all plants. Diatomite can be used as a 100% hydroponics growing medium, and/or can be added to any other growing medium as well. (eg. soilless mixes, coco fibre, etc.)

OK, im stopping now before I start sounding like im promoting the stuff. Never used it, and not going to. Saw a little dinky bag at a show once and couldnt believe the price.

I've always wondered about the "amorphous silica being a source of silicon to the plants" statement.

Amorphous silica is glass, and pure silica glass is a remarkably insoluble material (I do have degrees in ceramic engineering and science, and they drove that home pretty solidly) - unless it's in a very basic chemical environment, and none of us are doing that to our plants.

Maybe there's something else going on there, but I don't see pure, solid silica doing much dissolving. If it was that easy, we'd have no beaches (except western Australia, where a lot of it is zircon sand).

I use Aussie Gold as well, but am slowly switching away from it. You can reuse it by sterilizing it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. In my greenhouse, it does great in the Tucson summer, but I have problems with it remaining too wet in the winter. Phrags absolutely love it!!! If I don't overwater, Catts and Paphs like it too. When I do overwater, I have problems. I need pots that have lots of air holes on the sides, which helps a lot.

Basically it's coir, charcoal, and diatomite. The fine mix is too fine for paphs and even seedlings, but the paph/phrag mix works for everything.

Sounds like something I could make myself from what I already have in the house....but as I've said in other posts, I'm turning away from coconut products on my paphs...and phrags never liked coconut, whether CHC or coir...Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back