Aussie Dendrobes

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bench72

The season for the Aussie Dendrobiums has started and just wanted to share a couple that is in bloom..

1. Dendrobium Aussie Ruby... guess I got the one without much colour to it.
3752849861_5b3a296920.jpg

2. Dendrobium Graham Hewitt... this one has the added bonus of having a scent, not too dissimilar to the speciosums...
3753645332_b4d80e17d4.jpg

Please tell us the parents of these. They are really lovely.

Add some kingianum and speciosum and stir for several generations... Add some tetragonum, fleckeri, falcorostrum, gracilicaule, or jonesii to spice it up.

For more interesting kingianum hybrids go have a look at http://www.duno.com.au.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words everyone...

Dot, as Tyrone said, these are starting to get into the more complex hybridising of the Australian Dendrobiums... the species which make up both crosses are the standard 'Cool' growing species though... in fact, in both of these crosses only 3 species are used, ie Dend speciosum, Dend kingianum, Dend tetragonum... they only differ in percentages...

so that leads on to whether they are frost hardy... I'm really not sure Tom. Both of these do grow outside on my patio with a covered roof so they are a little sheltered from the elements, but the temperature does get down to 6 celsius at night...

cheers
tim

Here in sunny South Africa it gets down to at least 4 deg C in winter and last winter it was down to 2 deg C one night. All the plants were fine... In my neck of the woods we don't get frost. These guys are quite tough, maybe even frost proof. In my experience, one can pick up a kingianum or delicatum quite cheap at shows. Why not experiment and find out for us...

Thanks Tim and Tyrone. I thought I saw kingianum in both, but I wasn't sure of the rest. I with that nursery were in the US -- I could really get into kingianum hybrids!

so that leads on to whether they are frost hardy... I'm really not sure Tom. Both of these do grow outside on my patio with a covered roof so they are a little sheltered from the elements, but the temperature does get down to 6 celsius at night...

Here in sunny South Africa it gets down to at least 4 deg C in winter and last winter it was down to 2 deg C one night. All the plants were fine... In my neck of the woods we don't get frost. These guys are quite tough, maybe even frost proof. In my experience, one can pick up a kingianum or delicatum quite cheap at shows. Why not experiment and find out for us...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Actually, I've been growing a couple kingianum hybrids outside successfully for several winters now, so I guess these should do well too. We do get frost, but it isn't very severe - only down to - 3 C at most so far!

Latest posts

Back