Attitude

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

Lately, we have been having some lively discussion on this board. It would seem that the same passion we throw into our hobby of orchid growing also translates into passionate ideas, speeches and attitudes.

It has been mentioned to me in the past that this board may not be approachable by new members. Maybe some people think that since we know each other (to some extent) that there is some sort of private club that exists here. There is not. Maybe some people are intimidated by the heated debate that springs up here or there. I hope that everyone can find a thread they feel comfortable enough to post in.

What you will find true about this board, is that you can say pretty much any damn thing you want to without fear of anyone locking you out or altering your posts. Granted, there have been instances in the past where someone felt like they were being edited, but these instances are just part of the differing viewpoints we encourage here. Our goal is to see threads remain open and unedited as long as profane namecalling doesn't pop up.

One thing I can suggest to everyone who posts here is this. We are all human, and we all have our "off days." Some of us are very strong willed, stubborn and downright cranky at times. But the easiest way to deal with anyone on this board, is to remember that the attitude you come in with is the same attitude you will have reflected back at you. If you come in with a "know-it-all" ego, someone will knock you off that high horse. If you come in pretending to be an expert, someone will show you just how wrong you are. If you come in with your fists clenched, you will find a fight.

I admit, I am a worst offender when it comes to verbal sparring matches. I have an Irish temper and hold a grudge like a pitbull holds a bone. Just because I have administrator under my username, people expect me to be Jesus-like perfect. It just doesn't work that way. That's why there are at least five administrators of this forum. We need that many to talk common sense when one of us is having a bad day.

So in conclusion, keep posting and saying whatever you feel like saying. Encourage new members to post, and remind old members to keep an open mind. The heated debates of today turn into the informational threads of tomorrow.

PHRAG said:
If you come in with a "know-it-all" ego, someone will knock you off that high horse. If you come in pretending to be an expert, someone will show you just how wrong you are. If you come in with your fists clenched, you will find a fight.

I think we tend to be fairly good at judging fact from fiction here at Slippertalk, but I would encourage everyone to have facts to back up their statements and to refrain from accusations unless you have the proof to back it up. Publicly.

Back