"Athol"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bernhard Hilse

I have a very lovely photo of a slipper which I would like to share with you all. It is a Labondyonum phil x hoy. It flowered the first time in 10 years, and it is a real beauty. There are six slippers on it. Bernhard

Attachments

• jordan.jpg
    jordan.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 86
It was worth the wait! I have Lebaudyanum album seedlings, I hope I don't have to wait that long!

re; Athol - our winter here was the coldest for many years after very warm winters and we had two weeks of low temps about 2/3 degrees c. at night and I think it made all the difference as I had lots of orchids flowering. I lost 4/5 of my phalaenopsis as did most other growers in this area but I didn't lose any slippers. Now I have more room for my slippers. Bernhard

Dear NYEric, thanks for your nice comments. Our Orchid Club in Rocky has about 150 members and everyone lost orchids during the cold spell. We live in a valley and don't get frost. Other areas had frost and some lost all their paphs. Incidentally, the President of rival club, who always said I couldn't grow slippers, lost his total collection worth thousands of dollars. 20 years ago, no-one had slippers in this area and we only have 3 growers who have more than 100 and about another 10 who have a few. I only have a simple orchid house with double shade cloth 70% on top, I am in the process of building a better one. I think I now have the right way of looking after them. I am interested to know what you do with your orchids during this cold winter? Do you leave them in the green house or have them indoors with heating? What about air circulation? I am fortunate to live in a breeze channel and our winters are very mild. Kind regards Bernhard

Latest posts

Back