Ascofinata info wanted

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grandma M

Has anyone had experience with the Neo falcata and vanda--or Ascd. crosses? I have seen them listed and wonder what they look like and what are the culture requirements.

Marilyn, I have a Vandofinetia 'Pat acari'??, since 10 years. I bought it potted, and had problems with it the first 2 years (to much water, I suppose), then mounted it on cork, and since then flowering a lot 2 times per year; hanging close to the greenhouse window in the sun.
Jean

vandofinetiapatacari458ca0.jpg

Jean, thanks for you info. Yours is beautiful. I love the color shadings and it has a beautiful lip. I like anything blue. Is it a tall grower?

The one I was looking at is Ascofinata (Blue Tahourdin X Neo falcata). It sounds interesting. Not sure if I dare chance it. With those parents I believe it may be a small or medium grower. Anything that grows too tall would get the top bumped off when the lightmover passes over it.

It varies, of course, but with Neo. falcata as a primary parent, the plants should stay small. I grow a few different Neo. intergenerics (Darwinaras, etc). Most stay small. I find that they tend to be easier to grow for me than most ascocendas and all vandas. I grow them in baskets.

With a lot of Neofinetia influence, you should expect that the plants would tolerate much cooler winter temperatures, which is good in the great white north.

I think the only thing I have in abundance is Darwinara Charm "Blue Star". Since they are just starting to spike up, I would probably not bring them to GLOS unless by special request. Of course there are a gazillion straight neofinetia of Alex's to bring.

All my other Neo intergenerics I only have one or two of, just part of my own collection.

I find the Neo hybrids to be very charming. I do find them to be a bit larger growing than the species. They are also a little less cold tolerant. I think above 40 degrees is best.
Hybrids are the way to get more flower colors than the basic white, yellow, pink of the species!
You can check my photo album of Neo and hybrids here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157600772330470/
Peter.

Your slide show was so beautiful that I am almost tempted to try a neo......almost.

I have a couple vandofinetias Blaupunkt ( neo x vanda coerulescens ) and they are easy growers and bloomers.

I grow them in wood slat baskets, very bright light, intermediate/warm, plenty of watering in growing season, a bit less in winter. They thrive on very bright light (direct sun) in winter.

dsc00931ur8.jpg

Very nice plants and photos Peter, thanks!

I'm growing a couple of these now. One is Ascofinetia Twinkle the primary between N. falcata and A. miniatum. It grows easily in the local climate and has proven so far to be just as cold tolerant as the pure blood neos. Here it is flowering last fall, I think in September.

Twinkle.jpg

The other is a mystery plant bought at a local show. The exact parentage remains secret since the grower didn't want anyone to replicate it...um....forgetting the name now. Anyway, it looks much like a regular neo, but with deep purplish flowers and the plant so far is quite small as well. Seems quite easy to grow.

Jean, Sangii and Kyushu calanthe

Thanks for the photos. Now I know a little more about what to expect. If ?????????? spring ever comes to Michigan possibly I can have them shipped.

Marilyn

Latest posts

Back