Art in 9 minutes? You be the judge. Amazing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like Bob Ross with spray paints instead of oils :) It's better performance art than it is fine painting, but its pretty cool either way :)

- Matt

Art? No.

Kitsch? Yes.

There are a lot of talented artists who produce kitsch. It sells. It provides an income while they work behind the scenes on other art. There are a few who never move past the kitsch. See: Thomas Kinkade.

Here is another extremely talented street artist. http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Makes you wonder if this guy works on stuff when he isn't drawing on sidewalks.

As far as I am concerned, anything that is better than I can produce is ART. So that qualifies.

That reminds me, the Starving Artists' sale is coming up at the Radisson. I hope they have some sofa-sized paintings.

Disclaimer: I didn't watch the whole video since I'm eating.

Cannonball said:
Art? No.

Kitsch? Yes.

There are a lot of talented artists who produce kitsch. It sells. It provides an income while they work behind the scenes on other art. There are a few who never move past the kitsch. See: Thomas Kinkade.

Here is another extremely talented street artist. http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

Makes you wonder if this guy works on stuff when he isn't drawing on sidewalks.
Jealouos elitist bullcrap. Deinately art.

NYEric said:
Jealouos elitist bullcrap. Deinately art.

Eric,

I am going to treat you with more respect than you have shown me.

1. Go here and look up the definition of kitsch. www.wikipedia.org.

2. Go here and study a REAL fantasy artist's work. www.mccallstudios.com

If you visit the links above and still think that the spraypainter's work is art, come back here and debate me about the topic at hand.

Based on what I read about the word kitsch it is a fake word. Art is what the viewer makes of it. There is much that is considered famous art that I consider to be trite and all of those other words used in that article.

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it art. If it can be viewed and appreciated for WHATEVER reason, then it is worthy.

I can respect your opinion, even though I don't agree.

Kitsch is not a "fake" word any more than realism, impressionism and cubism are "fake" words. They all describe a style, or genre, with certain characteristics that define each.

Should we hang Dogs Playing Poker and a velvet Elvis in an art museum? Not unless we are celebrating the very best of kitsch. And before you call me a snob, you should realize I collect art and own at least four or five pieces of kitsch.

The guy in the video is an artist. But he has chosen to paint in kitschy themes because it sells. Call it "kitsch art" if it makes you feel better, but it is just good old kitsch through and through.

Latest posts

Back