• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Art auction time!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
In addition to the four pieces in my exhibit at the Illinois Orchid Society Spring Show, I also framed three pieces for the New World Orchids sales booth. Guess what? Many admired, but they didn’t buy! It was a beautiful weekend with lots of fine plants, but people were clutching their wallets tightly. It doesn’t do me much good mentally or financially to have things sitting around here framed, and storing art flat is easy in my small space, framed is not! They should go on someone’s wall and be enjoyed as I move onto the next thing, and, though they’re all-around aesthetically-pleasing, the flowers portrayed in these pieces are probably going to be most appreciated by “orchid people”.

I think what I’m going to do is run three auctions here starting each at roughly 50% off of gallery retail price, which is my cut when someone else sells my work. They will close at midnight PST on April 25th. At the risk of preaching to the choir and/or sounding a little whiney, it’s probably in my best interest to mention that these pieces are not churned out, the glass and archival framing materials I use are not inexpensive, and this is not a hobby for me. I very much depend on you guys to appreciate and buy if you can, though I can understand being unable to even at these prices.

To the basics! I do ship worldwide, though you should probably email me for a quote if you’re outside the U.S. before bidding. I accept checks, money orders and credit cards/bank transfers through PayPal. Your happiness with the piece is guaranteed, though I expect it back in a timely fashion and in its original condition if you’re not. I’ve only had one return, so if you like my art online, you will most likely love it in person. Please email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the art.

Auction #1 starts at $350 and is inspired by Neofinetia falcata ‘Hisui’. It is watercolor and pastel on 300Ib hot press Arches, a handmade archival paper from France. The art size is 11” x 17” (27.94 x 48.18 cm), and the framed size is 18" x 24" (45.72 x 60.96). Domestic shipping on a piece of this size, with extra-careful packing because of the glass, will be $30.

Framed:

hisuiauction.jpg

Close-up:

hisuiII.jpg

Auction #2 starts at $210 and shows two Neofinetia falcata 'Shutennou' blossoms. It too is watercolor and pastel on 300Ib hot press, but I used a bit of Winsor & Newton iridescent medium in this one, so the flowers shimmer a bit as you walk past the piece. The art size is 8" x 11" (20.32 x 27.94 cm), the framed size is 12" x 16" (30.48 x 40.64cm). $20 shipping to a U.S. address.

Framed:

shutennouauction.jpg

Close-up:

shutennou.jpg

Auction #3 also starts at $210 and is inspired by Masdevallia Rosemary. It is watercolor and pastel on 300Ib hot press paper, is 8 1/8" x 8 5/8" (20.64 x 21.91cm) and 15" x 16" (38.10 x 40.64cm) in its ultra-contemporary weighted mat and frame. Also $20 shipping to a U.S. address.

Framed:

masdieauction.jpg

Close-up:

masdevalliarosemary.jpg

I will happily combine shipping on multiple wins.

Again, these close at midnight PST on April 25th. Please specify the auction # in your post. Thanks for your support, and good luck!

Just to make it clear, if I want to bid, I have to make a post in this thread with the auction number and the amount of the bid right?

Just to make it clear, if I want to bid, I have to make a post in this thread with the auction number and the amount of the bid right?

Exactly.

Heather, you know you're just holding out for that Mexipedium painting I'm going to do! It's on my list, though I'm watching mine because I'd rather bake the actual thing under my work light as I paint if at all possible.

Auction 1: bid $350

(Still holding out hope that Robin is going to offer me first crack at a Habenaria Radiata painting)

Robin, can you also clarify what color the frames are? They're either silver or a copper color right?

Hey, I have my first taker! Sweeeet...

As for that hideous Egret Orchid? No way...

:rollhappy:

I love it, and that will happen at some point and, yes, I will email you first! I need more hours in the day--who doesn't?

Missed your post Candace while I was being a smart ass.

They are, according to Nielsen Bainbridge, what is called "Florentine Silver". It's a brushed, matte sort of look--the warmer side of silver.

Everyone may as well consider the framing "free" at this point though. It's the furthest thing from being reflected in the opening bids and, even if it's not to your taste, it's a way to hang the piece on your wall to enjoy till you feel like taking it in. I choose very neutral presentations for my work that will compliment the art without overpowering it; after having someone ream me for bringing in art with a colored mat when applying to school back in the day, I've really stuck to this with an understanding of of why it makes sense.

I've painted roths and besseae before...just one besseae I think. I don't even remember who has them actually. I can place one roth mentally, but that's it.

I do indeed have love for white flowers of an unusual shape, and radiata most certainly fits the bill.

Well, with your new style emerging I think it is time to revisit roth and bess. Hell, you obviously don't seem busy enough, so why not paint a whole series based just around these two species? :evil:

I love your new style by the way.

I always matt in whites or very light greys. And I usually frame in silver or black. Whoever told you that was a smart cookie. The art is the focal point and colorful framing and matts can detract from it.

Yeah, he was a bright and pleasant guy. What made me feel stupid at the time though (still, clearly) is my mom and I both knew this and used whites around the house, but used scrap mat board from a local frame shop to put my portfolio together. I got the art scholarship with my colored mats anyway and went elsewhere.

It was so very hard for me to resist the EBay auctions....they were so cheap and your take on the most recent lunar eclipse was great! I almost bid on a couple to see if it generated any interest, but would have felt so bad to get the pieces at such a steal.

Thank God these are not flowers I like near as much as some others!
However, the first two pieces are so nice...

How many pieces before I become an official 'collector' of your work? :wink:

Craig

Craig, I’d have been more than fine with you getting a special deal—for one, you seem to genuinely appreciate a lot of my work and I know it’d have gone to a good home, and you clearly understand why I need for people to pay first price sometimes! Ideally it all averages out. You’ve got a ways to go before you hit “RAS collector status” though! I started thinking about who has what and how many…five people come to mind who must have at least ten pieces. I know not all of it is framed, but taken out to be enjoyed occasionally. The standard is people going for a couple pieces with a spot in their home or office in mind and then disappearing, at least for awhile.

OMG! I hope those lottery tickets pay off tonight!

Those Cyps keep calling my name...especially now that I've seen a picture of a couple framed.

I love the piece I already have and will have to have another...but 10 ????:poke:

Best,

Craig

I know, it sounds like a lot, but this is over a period of five years or so—I should have added that before to put it in better perspective!

Let me know when you get lucky—the Cyp. formosanum piece is waiting for you! :D

I love the pink Masdevallia, would love to have it. But I am also very scared to ask about shipping.......lol.

Back