Are these brown spots a disease?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceca

Reaction score
Only got this 2 weeks ago. See the pics attached, it started with the flower but I was told it was just the flower dying, but now I noticed brown spots on the leaves as well.

I've soaked it for 15 min once a week and used Orchyd mist on it occasionally. Its at a northfacing window.

Thanks!

Attachments

• phap2.jpg
    phap2.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Phaph.jpg
    Phaph.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 36
Thanks, anything I can do to fix it or is it a lost cause? Also are they not rained on all the time in the wild? I barely misted them and definitely not in the pouch.

Also are they not rained on all the time in the wild? I barely misted them and definitely not in the pouch.

Yes, they are. And they also get diseases and infections in the wild (along with getting chewed up by pests and mechanically damaged by falling debris, animals, etc). However, in regards to pests and disease, there are factors in their native habitats that help mitigate these. Pests have predators, and pathogens are kept in check by a thriving microbial community, and other environmental factors (air flow, UV light for instance).

In home culture, we usually can't provide ideal conditions, and plants often start their home life in a stressed state. We don't have the same microbial community and we usually don't have predators to take care of the pests. So, we have to take steps to help our plants out. Sometimes we have to spray for pests, sometimes we have to ensure that we minimize / avoid water on the leaves to prevent infections.

yeah, paphs aren't particularly fond of soaking and don't mist them, don't know why that gets perpetuated in the culture. It's a waste of time, does nothing for humidity control and can cause issues, especially for home culture.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back