are slipper orchids really orchids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asparagus.

Thanks Dot. That is the one. It is hard to see the relationship but I have yet to here an explanation of the links. I'd be interested to know if there are current taxonomists that believe this or if it was just the view back in 1830.

Maybe I should try and eat a Paph. If it tastes as bad as asparagas then I could be convinced. :)

David

Thanks Dot. That is the one. It is hard to see the relationship but I have yet to here an explanation of the links. I'd be interested to know if there are current taxonomists that believe this or if it was just the view back in 1830.

Maybe I should try and eat a Paph. If it tastes as bad as asparagas then I could be convinced. :)

David

Paph helenae are ok in a salad but I wouldn't eat them every day. delicatum may be better but I'm yet to taste this delicacy.

Mick

Paph helenae are ok in a salad but I wouldn't eat them every day. delicatum may be better but I'm yet to taste this delicacy.

Mick

:eek: :eek: :crazy:

Maybe I should try and eat a Paph. If it tastes as bad as asparagas then I could be convinced.

That's because you haven't been cooking asparagus correctly... :p :poke: asparagus.. yum!

That's because you haven't been cooking asparagus correctly... :poke: asparagus.. yum!

So do you dip it in chocolate, cover it in breadcrumbs and deep fry it. That should hopefully remove the asparagus flavour. :poke:

I even lived with a person who had a pot specifically designed to cook asparagus. It didn't make it taste any better. :)

David

Michigan purple asparagus is the best! Steam it. Serve with melted butter, salt and black pepper. Mmmmm!

Rick as far as i know Dimorphorchis have two perfect flowers. on lowii for example there is a yellow flower with stigma and pollen and a red flower with stigma and pollen. they are slightly differently formed and colored but as far as i know they are perfect flowers.

Rick as far as i know Dimorphorchis have two perfect flowers. on lowii for example there is a yellow flower with stigma and pollen and a red flower with stigma and pollen. they are slightly differently formed and colored but as far as i know they are perfect flowers.

exactely,big difference is that the first flower attract pollinator with smell,the others with colour....
another strange flowering of that area is Grammatophyllum kinabaluensis,that have always the first flower deformed...

Why would that sound stupid ? .... we separate genera and species on much smaller differences ... Dahlgren et al, and Vermeulen didn't find it stupid ... and neither do I ... then "Orchids" will be Orchidales and there will be three families (a) Aspostasieae with three fertile anthers, (b) Cypripedieae with two fertile anthers, and (c) Orchidaceae with one fertile anther.

Its like women ... blondes, brunettes, redheads ... but they are all women ...

all you do is change the levels, nothing more ...

When I was taught the definition of what is an orchid there were characteristics that were supposed to be identifiers, 6 flower parts, pollonia instead of pollen, vascular leaf structures, etc... if these characteristics are present then it's an orchid, if there are additional traits, still an orchid. if the basic requirements are not there...not an orchid! If you get to find differences within those categories that doesn't preclude the plant from still being an orchid. Therefore the arguement is stupid, in my opinion.

When I was taught the definition of what is an orchid there were characteristics that were supposed to be identifiers, 6 flower parts, pollonia instead of pollen, vascular leaf structures, etc... if these characteristics are present then it's an orchid, if there are additional traits, still an orchid. if the basic requirements are not there...not an orchid! If you get to find differences within those categories that doesn't preclude the plant from still being an orchid. Therefore the arguement is stupid, in my opinion.
Well, that is what you and some others accept ... others don't ... see vermeulen and Dahlgren et al.

I don't need to have slippers taken out of the "orchids" ... and all I say and have ever said, that one can argue that slippers should be a separate family. And I would not consider John Lindley, Vermeulen, Dahlgren, Clifford, Yeo and some other professional botanists (including myself) as having stupid ideas. Just because an idea is not generally accepted does not mean that it is bad or stupid ...
Just get a copy of The Families of the Monocotyledons, (Springer 1985) and there you can read a very argumentation PRO three different families. And you should also read P. Vermeulen's The System of the Orchidales (Acta Botanica Neerlandica, 15: 224-253) before calling the idea "stupid"

..And I would not consider John Lindley, Vermeulen, Dahlgren, Clifford, Yeo and some other professional botanists (including myself) as having stupid ideas.

Therefore the arguement is stupid, in my opinion.

No, I never said having the idea is stupid. However investing energy in the argument that slippers are not orchids would be a waste of my time.

If paphiopedilum would not be considered orchids. CITES can be disposed in the garbage pail.

If paphiopedilum would not be considered orchids. CITES can be disposed in the garbage pail.
Oh No ... I had that idea already 25 years ago ... If Slippers would no longer be "Orchids" those Cites mafioso would simply put an addition to cites ti include the slippers again. They may be crooks, but they are not that stupid.

Oh No ... I had that idea already 25 years ago ... If Slippers would no longer be "Orchids" those Cites mafioso would simply put an addition to cites ti include the slippers again. They may be crooks, but they are not that stupid.

Agree,and maybe in worst way!!!

Latest posts

Back