Are clear plastic pots bad for Paph roots?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbjd

Reaction score
Hello all, I am interested in how some of the experts here grow their Paphs. I am a pretty obsessive grower with a small collection so I like using clear plastic pots so I can track root development. However, I saw recently online that Paph roots may not like being exposed to light. Most of my Paphs are in clear pots and some are rooted well and other are not. I also have a few Paphs in opaque pots that have great roots but I am not sure if this is a coincidence. Thoughts?

I'm not sure I've ever heard anybody say not to use them. I have two or three paphs in them (I'm also a small but obsessive collector). I find them especially helpful when I'm trying to "bring a plant back", to be able to see how root development is coming along. The pots are more questionable with plants that take more heat and sun because of algae. With my sphagnum potted paphs in these pots, the sphagnum along the sides turns green but the roots seem unperturbed.

Thanks for the reply, I am getting several more paphs in a fews month so I wanted to make sure my pots were okay. I never get algae so I dont think they are getting much light, although I only ever top dress with moss. I grow under lights so the light source is mostly from the top.

Thanks for the reply, I am getting several more paphs in a fews month so I wanted to make sure my pots were okay. I never get algae so I dont think they are getting much light, although I only ever top dress with moss. I grow under lights so the light source is mostly from the top.
Good point.

I use a lot of Rand air cone pots...They grow algae on the pots and root and I have seen me detrimental effects. I have read the same negative information your speaking of, but I am still using them.

couple hundred plants in them, which i've moved to exclusively. they are a great cheat to see the health of roots as well as when to water. In my greenhouse, letting the lack of 'wet spots' in the pot tell me when it's time to water is helpful, as i heavy hand with the watering wand. under lights that may not be such an issue after you get into a pattern. Depending on how many plants you have, Chula orchids in oregon is a great source of clear pots (and actually the primary supplier in the US for many of them).

Latest posts

Back