Aquatic Phalaenopsis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

TyroneGenade

mad scientist
Reaction score
Hello,

Lanmark, I have done a lot of searching: https://www.google.com/search?q=orc...h-PSAhXH4iYKHUwlD7IQ_AUIBygC&biw=1366&bih=613 and it seems lots of different orchids seem to do well in water culture. I am systematically moving ailing plants to water culture to see if they improve.

John, your success is very encouraging and Larry looks very healthy. I am going to experiment with some H2O2 to keep algae at bay. I regularly dose my aquarium with it to deal with algae. There is a narrow margin in which you can dose with out damaging plants but will kill and bleach algae. I need to find out if the orchid roots can take this treatment.

Keep well

Linus_Cello

Reaction score
John, your success is very encouraging and Larry looks very healthy. I am going to experiment with some H2O2 to keep algae at bay. I regularly dose my aquarium with it to deal with algae. There is a narrow margin in which you can dose with out damaging plants but will kill and bleach algae. I need to find out if the orchid roots can take this treatment.

Keep well

Green algae? BBA?

TyroneGenade

mad scientist
Reaction score
The dose for the aquarium is 2 mL of 3% solution per gallon of water. This doesn't seem to upset the fish and most plants tolerate it well (certain, more primitive plants, will melt).

Bye

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
The dose for the aquarium is 2 mL of 3% solution per gallon of water. This doesn't seem to upset the fish and most plants tolerate it well (certain, more primitive plants, will melt).

Bye

That is very interesting. Thanks for the info. 2ml per gallon is very little. I can't imagine how that would hurt the fish. In fact, I'm surprised that the algae has any reaction as well, at such a low dose. However, it does seem, as you say, that the more primitive the plant, the more it can be damaged by even that tiny bit of H2O2. Cool! Thanks again.

Linus_Cello

Reaction score
That is very interesting. Thanks for the info. 2ml per gallon is very little. I can't imagine how that would hurt the fish. In fact, I'm surprised that the algae has any reaction as well, at such a low dose. However, it does seem, as you say, that the more primitive the plant, the more it can be damaged by even that tiny bit of H2O2. Cool! Thanks again.

Is another option to spray H2O2 directly on the algae with an eyedropper/baster?

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't the algae be present as a film all over the aquarium....making highly targeted application impractical? Also, how does one "spray" liquids under water?

Linus_Cello

Reaction score
Wouldn't the algae be present as a film all over the aquarium....making highly targeted application impractical? Also, how does one "spray" liquids under water?

Probably more effective to scrape algae off walls of tank/container, and target application on plants. This is what's often done with "excel" to control BBA.

Latest posts