April Contest

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Morning All!

I just wanted to make sure people had seen the announcement about our April contest here: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3206

Feel free to leave any comments in this thread but please don't post your guesses here. Surprisingly, I haven't yet had any replies so I hope to hear from all of you soon!

I made it a little harder than our last one but all of the answers are in the photo galleries.
You can't win if you don't play, you know...:poke:

Oh good, you started a thread about it so we can b!tch about April's contest. "Surprisingly"... "a little harder"... what planet are you from?

My best impersonation of Eric: :crazy:

NOOOOO. It's really hard. You all have jobs, kids(?), uh ... other important stuff! You do not need to waste your time on this.:p
Play with your babies; I'll just take it from here.;)

Yup; too hard. Shouldn't a contest be to test our current knowledge and reward us for consistently coming to the site to view and read the current posts? A contest like that would encourage us all to visit ST more often and view more threads / topics as a matter of habit. That in itself would translate into more participation by everyone.

I don't see the point in testing our ability to temporarily stop and / or inconvenience our normal routines so that we can intensely research and comb through archives to find the required answers needed to win the contest; but otherwise, not encourage us to regularly and frequently visit ST (and participate), as a matter of habit.

In this case, I say congrats Per! 'Looks like you're gonna get it! If you're the only one that has done all the research, then, you do deserve the prize. : )

Something else to consider.....Is it fair to the sponsor to run a contest like this, which causes most people to throw their hands up in despair and not even try? The sponsor is looking for lots of exposure in return for his generosity. if practically nobody participates, the sponsor is still on the hook to award the prize; but, does he get his money's worth if only a small handful of people were even able to enter? 'Not trying to be nasty Heather. Just adding my thoughts and explaining the reason why I won't / can't participate in this one.

I do think you need to tweak your Diversity Policy, however. Where are all the pleuro photos?

TADD said:
Aren't pleuros orchids to us, but weeds to others..... :poke:
I always wondered about that, and Bulbos too! Are the vendors from the Southern Hemisphere and Asia selling us their lawn clippings for outrageous prices?!?:evil:

Okay, there's been some discussion about changing the contest to the following:

1 entry per photo if you correctly identify the genus of each plant
2 entries per photo if you can correctly identify the actual plant in the photograph.

I think this is fair since it would still mean that Per (and anyone else who might choose to participate fully) would get credit for all of his hard work.

How do people feel about this change?

Latest posts

Back