Appletonianum v. Hainanense growing culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one many years ago (early '90). At least I bought one under this name at that time!!! Very very very easy, very resilient little guy. Usually grew in bark mix for me, with lot of water. Hot temps or cool temps... I often neglected repotting for years... And it always recovered. The last thing I did was delaying repotting till the roots were rotten (i must say I don't have a very nice clone. I love to torture plants I am not very found in because I think I can learn something about them even if I don't really love them). I potted a single small division without roots in sphagnum moss 2 years ago. Now the fan has a LS of 20cm. I will continue to grow it in Sphagnum (I now many Paph growers are afraid of growing in this media. I agree roots can rot quickly, but I believe the key of the success is a very very very very low fert level... and we must react quickly if the plant seem to be stressed

Last edited:
more damp, less light, open mix but not too loose so that it dries out so quickly. I grow it side by side with fowliei album and the plants will retain moisture for about 4 to 5 days. Potted in small (5cm) plastic containers. They appreciate misting on the leaves as well.

Mine are grown at twice the distance as my parvis and multiflorals. Temps I have not found to matter. 50F to 84F without noticeable impacts.

One thing I do notice is seedlings will bloom at just about a year from flask and that first flower isn't worth producing so I cut them and as a result can have a multigrowth plant in very quick turnaround time.

Most of my fertilizer applications for this one are through foliar feeding when misting. So yes, also quite a bit less is better for me. And I also get better leaf patterns with that technique.

Latest posts

Back