AOS judging fees increased

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
So, let me get this right..judging has decreased, less people interested in having their plants judged and AOS is hurting for membership ..so they increase their fees for awards by 33 %?

Well, I am officially done with the AOS

Prices on everything go up periodically. That's the nature of living today.

No, I'm not happy about the price increase.

News to me, but in a standard business model the price increase is a common reality with a commodity that is declining in general demand but still of great importance to a certain audience. All about covering fixed costs, and given how prior leadership irresponsibly decimated the finances of that organization, I suspect they had little choice.

For commercial entities, for whom awards are a way to increase the value and demand for their clones, the cost of the award is insignificant and can be written off as a business expense.

An increase may discourage some private growers from showing their plants, but not the commercial folks, who seem to already get the majority of the awards.

TBH, it really doesn't matter to me anymore ...AOS no longer has a judging center in or around seattle. Any small desire to drive over 300 miles was killed by this increase. I wonder when there will be absolutely no judging in the Northwest, since the main reason why they stopped IN Seattle was because of the inability to attract new apprentices

It is unfortunate about the Seattle center.
If you are a member of the AOS awards are much cheaper than non member. I believe $60 non member, $40 for a member.

TBH, it really doesn't matter to me anymore ...AOS no longer has a judging center in or around seattle. Any small desire to drive over 300 miles was killed by this increase. I wonder when there will be absolutely no judging in the Northwest, since the main reason why they stopped IN Seattle was because of the inability to attract new apprentices
The Seattle judging center closure is a sad state of affairs for everyone in the once vibrant Orchid Growing Pacific Northwest Region. When orchid growers and local societies do not support the judging centers by bringing in plants, getting involved and participating, this is what happens. The Seattle Judging Center was once one of the most exciting centers with many Orchid Growers both commercial and private. Bringing plants to be judged is not just about getting awards. It's about educating the judges and hobby growers about what is being grown, what is possible, what is exceptional. The local societies belong to you as does the health and well being of the local judging centers. If you don't support either, expect a weak and unhealthy orchid community in your area. Seattle was once a vibrant orchid growing community and one I remember quite well, not that long ago.

The Seattle judging center closure is a sad state of affairs for everyone in the once vibrant Orchid Growing Pacific Northwest Region. When orchid growers and local societies do not support the judging centers by bringing in plants, getting involved and participating, this is what happens. The Seattle Judging Center was once one of the most exciting centers with many Orchid Growers both commercial and private. Bringing plants to be judged is not just about getting awards. It's about educating the judges and hobby growers about what is being grown, what is possible, what is exceptional. The local societies belong to you as does the health and well being of the local judging centers. If you don't support either, expect a weak and unhealthy orchid community in your area. Seattle was once a vibrant orchid growing community and one I remember quite well, not that long ago.

The ease of using the internet for selling, especially Ebay, diluted any need for a community that required physical presence in a room for the exchange of ideas and orchids. Orchid businesses no longer need the AOS (and I hate to say it, their politics) to function...as well as those sellers (and hobbyists) who feel the AOS and their judging criteria is off the mark and don't want to support the idea of judging. I know there was a lot of bad blood created between orchid businesses and judging centers in the 90's with regards to what got awards and what did not. (Personally, I thought the judges at NWOS (seattle) were very astute in their abilities).

I remember what it was like in the nineties as well for a hobbyist. The NWOS display and sales in the Feb Flower and Garden show in Seattle was quite a spectacle. I remember the excitement of spring rolling around and planning my weekends for trips along the northwest from the flower and garden show to shows in central Oregon..meeting with people who were legends in the orchid community. Times have changed ..people don't need the Orchid Society anymore, at least in the capacity that the Orchid Society tries to maintain itself..but I don't know a solution to that myself. It's not enough to say they need our support..people need a strong incentive to join a club and so far the AOS has failed on pretty much every effort to gain back that support...yet, Orchid growing as a hobby is stronger than ever.

Last edited:
Good Old Days...

I first joined the Tacoma Orchid Society way back in 1975 when I was 15 ... I miss the interesting meetings that tended to be very informative usually led by one of the local AOS judges. I miss the Beall Orchid Co over on Vashon Island, Orchids Unlimited and Cascade Orchids in Tacoma. I miss the friendships with folks old enough to be my grandparents all of them long gone. I miss the days of purchasing orchids with labels that listed parentage. I, too, miss the huge orchid show and sales areas at the Flower and Garden Show at the convention center ..

Well said. If you do not support Local and Speciality you get big box indifference

Well said. If you do not support Local and Speciality you get big box indifference

Seattle orchid is a small operation that brokers plants. They are constantly getting new items from around the world and they can be quite diverse. They have an excellent website and an excellent reputation and real easy to work with. Ebay sellers range from hobbyists like me to places like larger operations like Orchids unlimited..selling all kinds of stuff. There is no lack of support for local or specialty ...the internet has made Orchid Societies obsolete, at least in their ability to market themselves as vital to the community. They have trouble reaching out to new people and they lack innovative and creative ideas for their own survival. This is not just me saying this but people on this board as well as many conversations I have had in person. Seattle is still a vibrant orchid growing community as well as many places..it's just that the AOS doesnt have a monopoly on the structure anymore ...in fact, the community is more diverse than ever, even in the face of stricter CITES regulations compared to decades ago. So if the interest in orchid growing is the importance here , then all the boxes are checked. We have boards like this that consolidate expertise and we have easy access to all types of orchids and breeding with the push of a button. If the important thing is to keep alive an outdated and impotent structure....?

Last edited:
As I travel and speak to Orchid Societies around the country there are indeed Orchid Societies that are quite vibrant and in no danger of becoming obsolete. Anyone who had visited the Florida region certainly knows the incredible number of local members that participate not only in their own society but several. The Pacific South Region has Orchid Shows all through the year without member participation this would not be possible. The National Capital Orchid Society serving the greater Washington DC area hosts the Paph Forum each year bringing in speakers and participants from all over the country. My own local Orchid Society the Portland Orchid Society holds two Orchid Auctions a year and in the past has held two Orchid Shows Fall and Spring with Orchid Judging at our regular membership meeting once a year. The local Orchid Societies are well represented at Region Judging each and every month in Kaiser, Oregon.

I assure you sitting in front of the computer screen is not the same as attending the Santa Barbara International Orchid Show, The Pacific Orchid Exposition, the International Slipper Symposium, etc...…..

I find it interesting that we are discussing this in light of the new changes for Slippertalk

I'm glad, too. The forum software actually works now! People can login, easily see what they've missed (using the new posts link), and discuss/contribute. Lots of the conversations in these less active/visible sections rarely if ever crossed my eyes until now because I rarely took the time to click through them all individually when I stopped in to see the latest paph and phrag photos. I really do hope that this helps spur activity and conversation, since before I felt like it was a hindrance and knew it was for me personally.

Seattle orchid is a small operation that brokers plants. [...] They have an excellent website and an excellent reputation and real easy to work with.

I'm going to be that person because I've been personally burned more times than I'm proud to admit (I really like to give folks the benefit of the doubt) and I've read enough similar stories to know I'm not alone: I would hardly call their reputation excellent. For those of us who aren't locals that can stop in, their reputation is questionable, for good reason in my opinion. They do have a nice website, though, so I won't disagree there.

"""I'm going to be that person because I've been personally burned more times than I'm proud to admit (I really like to give folks the benefit of the doubt) and I've read enough similar stories to know I'm not alone: I would hardly call their reputation excellent. For those of us who aren't locals that can stop in, their reputation is questionable, for good reason in my opinion. They do have a nice website, though, so I won't disagree there."""

+Quote doesnt work so well

anyway, I knew I would get in trouble for saying that...having worked there myself, I should know that they don't have an excellent reputation..let me rephrase...they are interesting enough for new people to engage in their business..I will leave it at that...lol

Last edited:
As I travel and speak to Orchid Societies around the country there are indeed Orchid Societies that are quite vibrant and in no danger of becoming obsolete. Anyone who had visited the Florida region certainly knows the incredible number of local members that participate not only in their own society but several. The Pacific South Region has Orchid Shows all through the year without member participation this would not be possible. The National Capital Orchid Society serving the greater Washington DC area hosts the Paph Forum each year bringing in speakers and participants from all over the country. My own local Orchid Society the Portland Orchid Society holds two Orchid Auctions a year and in the past has held two Orchid Shows Fall and Spring with Orchid Judging at our regular membership meeting once a year. The local Orchid Societies are well represented at Region Judging each and every month in Kaiser, Oregon.

I assure you sitting in front of the computer screen is not the same as attending the Santa Barbara International Orchid Show, The Pacific Orchid Exposition, the International Slipper Symposium, etc...…..

yeah, Portland shows are about as exciting as the ones in Seattle. I stopped going to all Northwest regional shows because they lack the ability to bring in a diverse set of vendors as well as a diverse showing of plants and just participation in general. (although I keep checking each year, but nothing seems to change). I have been to both shows by POS and OOS..yeah, I suspect the politics between both your organizations had something to do with lack of attendance to shows. Does Portland really need two Orchid societies????? I dont know. Southern California shows will probably always have great support...they can draw from millions of people around the region (millions of people who don't have to even be members) and vendors who know their time wont be wasted. I talk to vendors, I know what's up with their concerns. Same with Florida, especially southern Fla. So a few regions will survive and do well while AOS slips into oblivion, struggling to survive. Sitting in front of a computer screen may not be the same..but when I can get anything I want (pretty much) and don't have to travel far and wide to get it...the choice is kinda obvious. Essentially, growing is a million times more important than face to face interactions. ANd why would a vendor sell at an Orchid show , lose 20 % of their sales to fees or whatever fees , lose on traveling expenses, when they can sell online for less cost and guaranteed sales?? or just go to guaranteed shows like in Socal. Makes no sense to me.

The Paph forum is exactly the kind of creativity that is needed for an an Orchid society...too bad more societies don't catch on to being more creative

I can tell you this...when NWOS books someone like Sam Tsui...it gets a lot of attention and the room is standing room only and a lot of people order from him. But , he hasn't been booked in three years (which is weird because he waives his speaking fees for a minimum order from the Orchid society as a group).

Given the centrality of the Oregon regional judging I can see that they would have a lot of participation. Wasn't there a time when the entire Pac Northwest regional judges held their monthly judgings in the Tacoma area?

IDK, I do long for the old days..but when I remember the old days and compare the availibility of plants (because of the internet)...it's so much better now..so it's a pleasant tradeoff..one that I can live with just fine..and apparently, so can a lot of other people

Last edited:
A.O.S. is not in danger of slipping into oblivion nor struggling to survive rest assured. As a commercial grower and hobbyist at hart, nothing can compare to attending a local orchid society meeting and engaging with the speaker, exchanging ideas and growing techniques.
The different color forms of Dendrobium cuthbertsonii, Miltoniopsis vexillaria alba FCC/RHS original plant from 1910, Dracula gorgona xanthina 'Colomborguidea' FCC/AOS, and other rare plants offered at the Portland Orchid Society annual auction could not be found anywhere online.
Attending symposiums, local orchid society meetings, interacting with other's with a desire to hybridize and grow their own seedling in-vito, I have learned much more than I ever could sitting in front of a computer screen. While attending the Santa Barbara International Orchid Show I had the chance to have lunch with Kobsukh Kaenratana of Pakkret Floriculture, Thailand and spent the next hour or so discussing ploidy induction. I learned more in that hour than anything available online. Yes there are some very exciting orchid libraries available online offering the Orchid Review Magazines from it's inception, along with many rare volumes from the Missouri Botanical Library, The Biodiversity Heritage Library, etc. Perhaps it's just me, but I prefer interacting with friends and like minded orchid aficionados at the local meetings and even our open house and open weekends when local orchid society members enjoy each other's company. By the way, there use to be three orchid society's in the PDX area and yes, quite exciting to have two!

Latest posts

Back