AOS Decline

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[email protected] That's the email address that should go directly to Greg. Even tho your question isn't about publications. Tell him your trouble and see if he as web master can help. He may have to take it to teh technical people like Howard Bronstein - I doubt it, but he may.

Thanks for your help, I managed to get sorted out. This forum is incredible, it is a bit like a 'Captain Fixit' site.
Thanks again!:)

Thanks for your help, I managed to get sorted out. This forum is incredible, it is a bit like a 'Captain Fixit' site.
Thanks again!:)

Glad it worked out. Now you should be able to down load the magazines from this year in e-format. I still haven't figured out if you absolutely positively have to download the program with each one (I do so, simply because its easier than thinking or learning, *G*).

Again, this assumes you subscribe to AQ+ If you aren't a subscriber you won't get the data.

Kathy Barrett
Apparently that is the case. I logged on, went to the site map, but I couldn't find a thing relating to AQ+.

That's what I'd like to see changed -- access to AQ+ should be a benefit of being a member of AOS.

Unfortunately, it's likely a bit of a "Catch 22".

The AOS' mission is to "promote and support the passion for orchids through education, conservation, and research", so allowing more general access would certainly move that in the right direction.

But that takes money.....

When I win the lottery tonight, we'll see if I can help out a bit.

Apparently that is the case. I logged on, went to the site map, but I couldn't find a thing relating to AQ+.

That's what I'd like to see changed -- access to AQ+ should be a benefit of being a member of AOS.

OOps sorry. I get to the award data screen by the same 'box' where I log in... not the site map. Sorry, I must have been unclear and sorry again for not knowing the term for the code for the thingy I will call a 'box'.

At the top of the AOS website is a place for members to log in. After logging in - inside that same 'box' - 3 tabs should now appear at the top of that 'box'. One's 'Edit Profile', one's 'Social' and one's 'JC Access'. Click on 'JC Access'. That should take you to the Orchids Plus screen which you can find award data via the 'Orchid Search' tab. There's a drop down menu that's take you to awards. Again assuming you subscribe. If you don't subscribe it won't work.

Having said that I agree with the notion that award data should be universal, or at least fully acessable to AOS members. IMHO that would stop the appearence that only judges get awards - because only they are privy to what features make a plant awardable because they have to subscribe to the AQ+.

True, the AOS will say anyone can subscribe to AQ+, and that's right. Anyone can. But most people don't. Most people don't show their plants. But maybe more people *would* if they knew their plants were as good or better than those previously awarded. Knowledge is power.

OOps sorry. I get to the award data screen by the same 'box' where I log in... not the site map. Sorry, I must have been unclear and sorry again for not knowing the term for the code for the thingy I will call a 'box'.

At the top of the AOS website is a place for members to log in. After logging in - inside that same 'box' - 3 tabs should now appear at the top of that 'box'. One's 'Edit Profile', one's 'Social' and one's 'JC Access'. ...

True, the AOS will say anyone can subscribe to AQ+, and that's right. Anyone can. But most people don't. Most people don't show their plants. But maybe more people *would* if they knew their plants were as good or better than those previously awarded. Knowledge is power.

Thanks -- I have only 2 tabs, apparently because I don't subscribe to AQ+. But I certainly agree that all AOS members should have access. Seems pretty elitist as it is now. Somebody should tell AOS that Knowledge is Power...

I am an AOS member plus I have the AQ+ full subscription (computer disc and internet). One of the things that is lacking with the AOS is follow up for computer related issues.

For example: Apparently my AQ+ subscription is expired. I did not receive any notification from AOS about this until well after it expired (several months).

It would have been great if I had received an e-mail since this is the preferred form of communication now (to avoid waste paper generation and snail mail costs).

Also, the notice I finally received only advised me that it had expired. There was no information about how to renew or where to renew electronically.

How do they expect to retain membership for the AQ+ if they do not make it easy to renew? I fully expect to renew my AQ+, but right now I don't have the time or energy to try to track down the renewal process on their website. So it will wait a little bit more.

As far as overall AOS membership, I am a member to support the association for my hobby. I usually use the discount with SVO because Fred is one of the best vendors for accepting the AOS discount coupon. He either gives the discount or sends a free plant. Last time, he sent a free plant that was similar to the style I was ordering and was on my wish list but out of my budget at the time.

I personally do not like online magazines. I work on the computer all day and the last thing I want to do is read on a computer. Not only is it bad for your eyes to spend so many hours staring at a screen, you have to haul the computer with you to read it. I would much rather read the magazine in paper, but I also know that to be environmentally responsible reducing paper waste is the way to go....I still like the magazine in paper. If the AOS goes to online only, I will probably subscribe to Orchid Digest and stop reading the AOS mag.

It is easy to pay membership fees and AQ+ on the website (aos.org). I do agree that it should be easier to notify when such subscriptions are finished.

My 2 cents of an outsider:

There no reason there can't be a reminder by email before a subscription is over. It can easily be scripted and semi or fully automated.

My 2 cents of an outsider:

There no reason there can't be a reminder by email before a subscription is over. It can easily be scripted and semi or fully automated.

I agree which is why I was quite surprised that I didn't get an AQ+ notification but I did receive an email about my annual membership expiry in June. Weird.

I personally do not like online magazines. I work on the computer all day and the last thing I want to do is read on a computer. Not only is it bad for your eyes to spend so many hours staring at a screen, you have to haul the computer with you to read it. I would much rather read the magazine in paper, but I also know that to be environmentally responsible reducing paper waste is the way to go....I still like the magazine in paper. If the AOS goes to online only, I will probably subscribe to Orchid Digest and stop reading the AOS mag.

ditto

I find it very difficult to read a online magazine in the wc, but the paper mag makes a great read in the only place I can sit quietly alone for a while.

I'll keep my answer short. I'm a young guy and mony is short. Why would I pay so much for a magazine when I can buy more orchids with that money.

If the AOS wants more members they should do a cheaper (much cheaper) no magazine option.

I think the simple answer, which everyone seems to be in agreement on, is that times have changed. The rise of the Internet has almost eliminated the need for the AOS for the average grower, because publications like the Orchids magazine are now obsolete. Personally, I still like to read magazines and both Orchids and The Orchid Digest are great publications that I used to subscribe to, but I just can't justify the cost anymore. So, as has been mentioned many times already, the AOS is really only useful to people who have their plants judged. Unfortunately, that might mean that the AOS has become more of a niche thing and may never return to its former level of membership. And that I think, is not such a terrible thing, as it shows just how much the hobby has grown and evolved; there are so many people growing orchids now that we no longer need to rely on getting this magazine in the mail to stay in touch with the orchid world. We have our smaller, local societies now, and there are so many of them that unless you live in a remote area there is bound to be a meeting place for one nearby.

Parvi, I couldn't agree more. Times have indeed changed. As a marketer and psych grad, I have been watching this thread closely, out of pure interest in other people's perspectives and for research about my/our own society.

To be honest, less technical terms, articles and programs should be given for those who might have an interest. Anyone slightly interested in a hobby would be turned off by extreme technical language. What I have personally seen is that too many societies and publications focus exclusively on technical and hard to read content for those new to orchids who are just trying to get their bearings.

I'm totally not against a pro magazine in the slightest. There are niches for them, but niches tend to be not profitable and have a small audience which the AOS needs to address in my humble opinion. Local societies need to be aware of this as well and cater to those less interested in scientific jargon and appeal to those who just want to grow and bloom their beloved orchids.

There is a time and place for all, but as a marketer at heart, priorities should be set and companies recognize the changing times. If we do not (local societies, other organizations/publications) will quickly become obsolete.

Just as a reference point, what do each of you think the basic demographic of your society is? Male/Female, average age, etc... Most society video footage/pics/experience I have seen thus far are people 40/50'ish and above. Perhaps it is an economic/age issue, but that isn't what I have seen from participating on many forums.

My apologies for the extremely long post and I truly hope I have not offended anyone for their thoughts or opinions as I truly respect them all! This is only my psych/marketing background coming into play with the observations I have seen here and on other forums, in societies and the extent of current marketing strategies available to us all at no cost which my research doesn't yield much at this point.

Paul McMahon
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rephasing my last sentence: "my research hasn't shown many orchid societies and organizations have taken advantage of yet."

Paul McMahon
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you have an interest in orchids, you have an interest in the AOS. Someone else is curating information and a level of documentation that the Internet hasn't gotten to yet, or, historically, ever....poo poo it, and the hierarchy has its problems, but it is still a central organization that has all of our interests at heart. We'd be fools to let it dissolve...

Latest posts

Back