Anyway to induce basal....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummmm, grow your phals for a few years? Buy plants on ebay with keiki's attached?

Marco, we need to get you a dog so you can raise puppies. I have a feeling you want something to raise, and orchids may not be cutting it. : )

Might try keiki paste, not sure how well it would work though.

The only time I get basal keikis is when I accidently rot the crown out of a phal and it sends them out as a last resort.

Jon
________
TOYOTA VISTA

Last edited:
PHRAG said:
Marco, we need to get you a dog so you can raise puppies. I have a feeling you want something to raise, and orchids may not be cutting it. : )

Ah I would love to. I love boxers and especially bull mastiffs. My first dog was a bull mastiff but died of cancer so it wasn't pleasant. I don't want that to happen again so no more dogs, unless the future kids want one then well see. So right now I drool over Jon's aquarium pics :drool: cause I think that would be next cause theres less emotional attachement.

Marco said:
Ah I would love to. I love boxers and especially bull mastiffs. My first dog was a bull mastiff but died of cancer so it wasn't pleasant. I don't want that to happen again so no more dogs, unless the future kids want one then well see. So right now I drool over Jon's aquarium pics :drool: cause I think that would be next cause theres less emotional attachement.

I was thinking today about how much I love my fish but they don't like me as much as the snails, so then I thought, perhaps salt water beings would like me more? Jon is a terrible influence.

I cannot go there! Except vicariously of course. Keep
'em coming, Jon!

Try keeping the plant warmer than normal, when it comes time to flower. You might get a basal keiki instead of a flower spike.

MoreWater said:
...introduce some pulcherrima or buyssoniana blood?

As Ki pointed out the tendency to basal keiki is often species related. Some of the small species like parishii and minus will basal keiki readily. Most other species would rather produce keikies from old spikes, and some species are reluctant to keiki at all.

I have gotten a few plants to throw spike keikis when using rooting hormone. This is similar to using keiki paste.

Back