• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Anyone have a source for a good insigne?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather, I thought you were more of a miltonia girl :poke:

Hrm well the 'best' insigne out there is probably 'Harefield Hall', which is a triploid. You might point your 'friend' *cough*cover*cough* to looking for a reputable vendor that has a division for sale.

--Stephen

Good luck! Finding a real Harefield Hall is a challenge in itself....everyone I've bought over the years has bloomed out to be at best ordinary insigne...at least once it was Leeanum....Take care, Eric

I got my 'Harefield Hall' from Joanne Brown at Stewart's back in the 80's and haven't seen it offered very often at all since then. I have seen several labeled as such at shows since then, but I'm pretty sure they weren't the Real McCoy. There are several cultivars out there that do look mighty close to 'Harefield Hall', and they probably even breed.

hrm well Woodstream Orchids has a clone of insigne 'Harefield Hall' and perhaps other nice clones. They might be willing to sell a division.

At the 2006 Paph Forum there was a plant labelled as insigne 'Harefield Hall' (I didn't look to see whose it was):
Paphinsigne_HarefieldHall.jpg

It matches up pretty well with an illustration from Orchids for Everyone (1910):
http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphspecies/Curtisinsigne.jpg

There's a good chance it was woodstream's plant that I took the photo of...

--Stephen

Heather,

This may be a bit of a stretch, but I once bought an insigne from a place up in WA. Plant was about 8 growths, in good shape, and it cost $20. It wasn't a division, and the parents were nothing to get excited about... "Select" x self or something of that nature.

The place is called "Out on a Limb Orchids". I doubt that they have anything listed on their website (dont know if they have a website), but it might be worth contacting them. The owner is a lugubrious gentleman who seems to have lost the thrill of orchid growing, except for Miltonias. Or maybe he has SAD. Anyway, might be worth a try.

- Matt

I have a bunch of insignes of unknown provenance. Part of a collection I bought. I don't know how good they are (haven't bloomed) but they are cheap... *grin*

Latest posts

Back