Anyone care to help identify hybrid?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are photos of a Paph multifloral without a label that I purchased. If anyone is interested in guessing the cross, all suggestions would be appreciated.
The seller did not know.........only guessed.....
The foliage is compact (like gardeneri or wilhelminiae, possibly adductum).
It likely has philippinense in the cross.
Thanks in advance.

upload_2020-3-14_20-12-52.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-14_20-11-22.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-14_20-11-22.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 2
It would be almost impossible to know for sure, an educated guess would be paph berenice or julius, it looks like there is Lowii, phillipinense, roth in it, any variation of those.......etc... I don't see any adductum, although I could be wrong

Is it quite that dark in real life, or are your pictures giving it a sepia-tone? It almost looks like pure philippinense. My guess is either a philippinense-dominant clone of Harbinger's Dark Ages (phil x wilhelminae), or an atypical philippinense (they can be very compact). If it's a complex hybrid masquerading as something simpler, well, I'm afraid you're out of luck. For example, look how very like your plant Ed's Orchid Joe's Curly Q was: https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paph-orchid-joes-curly-q.37275/

Last edited:
Is it quite that dark in real life, or are your pictures giving it a sepia-tone? It almost looks like pure philippinense. My guess is either a philippinense-dominant clone of Harbinger's Dark Ages (phil x wilhelminae), or an atypical philippinense (they can be very compact). If it's a complex hybrid masquerading as something simpler, well, I'm afraid you're out of luck. For example, look how very like your plant Ed's Orchid Joe's Curly Q was: https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/paph-orchid-joes-curly-q.37275/
I agree with TNYR5 that it might be a pure philippinense. The flower shape, colors, the shape of staminode, the flower sheath and plant all looks within the range of this species. If anything was in it like glanduliferum or adductum, those genes are not dominant here.

I agree with TNYR5 that it might be a pure philippinense. The flower shape, colors, the shape of staminode, the flower sheath and plant all looks within the range of this species. If anything was in it like glanduliferum or adductum, those genes are not dominant here.

The lip coloration very strongly indicates it's a hybrid. It's highly unlikely that a philly would have that lip coloration. They're almost exclusively in the pale yellow to pinkish range. Foliage also doesn't look quite right for pure philly as the leaves are on the broad side. That's not so say I'd stake my life on the fact that it couldn't be pure philly, just that from my experience it doesn't seem likely.

Latest posts

Back