Anyone backing screens with mylyn?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Mylyn is what Mylar used to be called. I would like to increase light in an area that I have been growing some slippers. I don't have any rooms specifically for growing slippers and grow them anywhere I can throughout the whole house. I can't just start sticking up mylyn where ever I feel like it because it isn't all that attractive. I believe I might have found a solution.

http://www.comforthouse.com/screen1.html

They offer a 5-panel screen in white for a nominal upcharge of about $100 plus shipping and handling. Thoughts were to face the front of the panels into the room with the back to the plant shelving. I'm thinking I can take it to a woodshop to add two little pegs per panel for legs so that it would be less likely to scratch the floor when I moved it to gain access to water the plants and I'm also thinking I could adhere a nice thick mylyn to the back of each and every panel.

Sort of hoping form might meet function here? Has anyone done anything like this before? Any other suggestions on how I might go about increasing the level of light for a 6'h x 54"w x 2'd plant shelving unit?

I have not but I am seriously thinking about getting some mylar to but on the panels my lights are fastened to. (the reflectors are pretty small and there is a considerable gap between them)

I deliberated long and hard over whether to order foylon or mylyn because foylon is generally more durable in the long run as most of the mylyn out there is only available in 1mil or 2mil thicknesses. I stumbled across a 5mil 54" 50' roll and learned that the 5mil thickness of mylyn was as durable as the foylon and just as easy to clean. Both mylyn and foylon reflect radiant heat equally well but the mylyn if not creased (considerably less likely to happen in greater thicknesses) had the potential of being more reflective than the foylon by about 5%. Since mylyn doesn't create hot spots when applied properly and had the potential of outperforming the foylon, I bought it about a year ago and it's been sitting because it was too ugly to hang up on walls. One of those deals where I knew the foylon would probably be the better product in the long run but the 5mil mylyn was less than half the price and allegedly was equally as durable. Basically, I've already got a decent product and want to use it which is why I was trying to figure out an unobtrusive way to do so.

For what it’s worth, I painted the ceiling in that room with a semi-gloss white elastomere paint. I think the brand name might have been Cool Seal. I might still have the can down in the basement. This paint is able to reflect something like 90% of all light. Might be something to consider for others who are growing inside under lights.

does the reflective paint look reflective? I had heard there was a product out there that looks like regular paint, but reflects light somehow. is that it? Does it come in different shades?

( I have a dark hallway that could use a little more light...)

No, it doesn't look reflective to me but then again I don't much notice the ceiling in that room. I made a mistake, the can of paint is Kool Seal not Cool Seal and it's cheap enough. It comes in a white label with medium blue lettering on the can. I think we bought it at a Home Depot or maybe a Menards or some local hardware store. We had the store add more white to it even though we bought their Premium White. I think this may be the paint that you heard about that looks like regular paint. I first heard about it reading posts in pot growing forums while trying to learn about lighting set ups. Sheesh are those people up to date on any product that has reflective properties. Just do a google search for the product and if you see any link come up that looks as if it is where people gather to share tips on growing pot illegally, click on that link and read. These people really keep current on all types of lighting systems and grow chambers.

No, it doesn't look reflective to me but then again I don't much notice the ceiling in that room. I made a mistake, the can of paint is Kool Seal not Cool Seal and it's cheap enough. It comes in a white label with medium blue lettering on the can. I think we bought it at a Home Depot or maybe a Menards or some local hardware store. We had the store add more white to it even though we bought their Premium White. I think this may be the paint that you heard about that looks like regular paint. I first heard about it reading posts in pot growing forums while trying to learn about lighting set ups. Sheesh are those people up to date on any product that has reflective properties. Just do a google search for the product and if you see any link come up that looks as if it is where people gather to share tips on growing pot illegally, click on that link and read. These people really keep current on all types of lighting systems and grow chambers.

Thanks for the paint tip. Our high humidity growing area is due for a fresh coat of paint this summer. If the stated claim to be mildew and algae resistant is true, that's yet another plus.

charlie c

I can't share with you from experience if their stated claims about the product being mildew and algae resistant are true or not because the humidity in my home generally isn't high enough to create favorable conditions even with humidifiers attached to the furnaces and I currently only have used the product on one ceiling in this house. I do have two smaller bathrooms where I have noticed condensation on the windows. Probably due to reduced air circulation in those rooms combined with the higher humidity associated with taking baths and showers. I suspect that condensation is going to take a toll on our wood window frames over the long run and was sort of tossing around the idea of painting the ceilings in those two bathrooms with this Kool Seal and additionally painting the floor trim, crown moldings, and window frames with the same paint in those rooms. It's supposedly used for roofs down south so why not? I've used exterior paints intentionally inside my home before in high traffic areas. Would love to know if Kool Seal really is mildew and algae resistant in high humidity areas if any one has used the product and knows.

Back