Any particular variety of moss...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchase my tree moss from mossunlimited.net. They sell it either wet or dry, and carry several kinds of mosses. Shipping isn't cheap as it comes from Washington state. But our society has been using it for years for our displays, and I use it for my baskets and top-dressing.

so.... back to the original question...

would be great to hear how folks get a nice layer of moss on the top of their mix (when they want to do that - some do not!)

Example Laelia munchowiana

49018423288_c4a1393056_c.jpg

I purchase my tree moss from mossunlimited.net. They sell it either wet or dry, and carry several kinds of mosses. Shipping isn't cheap as it comes from Washington state. But our society has been using it for years for our displays, and I use it for my baskets and top-dressing.

we have the best moss...grows everywhere..my orchids love it

Clean water + bright light = moss in my experience.

We use dry ice in the 'terrarium biz' to get rid of slugs. If I were doing the dry ice thing - deep plastic bin (rubbermaid tub), moss in the bottom.
Dry ice in a large cup somewhere in there, add a bit of water to get the CO2 to sublimate faster. Don't need to close the lid. But... After you are done, then close the lid tightly, wait a week, then repeat. Those snail/slug eggs are evil little SOBs. Maybe repeat twice.

Excellent suggestions all.

*where have you been Dot? Haven't seen your posts
in ages. I've missed you. I'll look into the mossunlimited,
however, there's a supplier in TN that has a bewildering
variety of mosses and I haven't a clue about which to
order. Any names will be appreciated.

We've added plain old milled Canadian sphagnum moss to our Paph/Phrag mix for years. Not sure of the company name, but we get ours at Home Depot. If your water quality is good, you'll grow a nice mat of moss on the mix surface. Usually takes about 6-7 months for this to happen with our mix formula. Once you have a nice moss mat growing, you can tease it apart and add it to the surface of other pots where it should grow quickly to provide that extra small amount of amine compounds for the plant roots. Living moss is a great cultural indicator as well; if the moss is not growing well, there's a problem w water quality or over-fertilization.

We've added plain old milled Canadian sphagnum moss to our Paph/Phrag mix for years. Not sure of the company name, but we get ours at Home Depot. If your water quality is good, you'll grow a nice mat of moss on the mix surface. Usually takes about 6-7 months for this to happen with our mix formula. Once you have a nice moss mat growing, you can tease it apart and add it to the surface of other pots where it should grow quickly to provide that extra small amount of amine compounds for the plant roots. Living moss is a great cultural indicator as well; if the moss is not growing well, there's a problem w water quality or over-fertilization.

Tom would you mind posting the brand that you use from Home depot... Only because my brain can't separate canadian peat moss from what you are referencing... and i don't think you are talking about canadian peat moss.

Excellent suggestions all.

*where have you been Dot? Haven't seen your posts
in ages. I've missed you. I'll look into the mossunlimited,
however, there's a supplier in TN that has a bewildering
variety of mosses and I haven't a clue about which to
order. Any names will be appreciated.
I've kinda been keeping track of what's been going on here, but not very actively.
I may have ordered from your TN place some time ago. The moss was good, but had lots of evergreen tree debris in it.
If you want just top dressing, just about any moss should do. As I said, personally I prefer their "tree moss."

WOW that's a combination i find difficult to cultivate. If i keep any of my cat family plants wet enough to grow moss, i've typically rotted the root system...

I take clay pots (evaporation through the wall) with 7-15 mm pine bark which is very airy. In my greenhouse a have high humidity between 70 and 95%.
Then it works well.

Tom would you mind posting the brand that you use from Home depot... Only because my brain can't separate canadian peat moss from what you are referencing... and i don't think you are talking about canadian peat moss.
........and here it is. The bag says it's milled Canadian peat moss and the company is located in Quebec. Not sure if all Home Depots carry this item, and I bought thisIMG_2749.JPG bag two years ago.

I live in seattle (meaning we get a lot of moisture) ..the moss dressing the tops of my pots grow everywhere in the city...the spores are everywhere

Last edited:
After much agonizing, I've decided against moss in
my greenhouse. I like the look and the possible
benefits, but the thought of introducing critters
is discouraging. I had one hell of a gnat battle
over the summer and don't want a repeat fight.
Lilfrog scared me about the slugs!!!!

Latest posts

Back