Any particular variety of moss...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much agonizing, I've decided against moss in
my greenhouse. I like the look and the possible
benefits, but the thought of introducing critters
is discouraging. I had one hell of a gnat battle
over the summer and don't want a repeat fight.
Lilfrog scared me about the slugs!!!!

I see that there is no point in giving you advice.

I have purchased moss twice...once from the Tennessee wholesale on EBay. They had 5 square feet I think it was for $25. It came recently harvested, and in good condition. I made a shade garden with Cyps and Trillium. The moss is doing great. The other moss purchase was from a pet shop in the reptile dept. This moss was dry, but when water was added it came to life. Paphs did seem to have happier roots that were lucky enough to have moss. This variety of moss struggled because I couldn’t keep it wet enough, often enough. I intend to use moss again, I just haven’t found the right variety.

I thought that was just algae growing on/in it. Have you had it truly revive and grow?
Absolutely. There are tons of viable spores in it. All it takes is pure water and lots of sun.

Living sphagnum is great, in that it is "self maintaining", staying fluffy and airy. If you like to fertilizer a lot, you'll kill it, with the result that the "green" is, indeed, algae...

Super_Moss_21585_32_Oz_Fresh_Sheet_Moss.jpg
I have purchased moss twice...once from the Tennessee wholesale on EBay. They had 5 square feet I think it was for $25. It came recently harvested, and in good condition.
Sounds like what the florist supply folks would call "sheet moss", easily gathered from (poached??) the surface of boulders. But that also means in your own (or a friend's) garden, you can grow your own supply. Caution: if you do locate from a floral supply company be sure it's not 'preserved', dyed, or otherwise messed with.

I've grown in several very different situations (New England USA, Mid Atlantic USA, California, Ireland, Spain...) and the moss has always performed well enough so long as it doesn't stay soggy. Mounted plants love it, and just tucking a wad at the base of newly mounted plants enables the moss to colonize the mount. Growing over the substrate in pots, while new roots seek it out, I do find I need to be careful about it overgrowing, so I thin it periodically, especially where it meets the crown.

I've rarely had any issues with fungus gnats or slugs. Maybe because I keep the moss dry in bags until needed and then soak for a few hours before use. Between drying out and then drowning, pests don't seem to proliferate. And the moss doesn't object; another reason the "sheet moss" is my 'go-to'. It's evolved to grow on surfaces that sometimes go for weeks or months without rain.

I have purchased moss twice...once from the Tennessee wholesale on EBay. They had 5 square feet I think it was for $25. It came recently harvested, and in good condition. I made a shade garden with Cyps and Trillium. The moss is doing great. The other moss purchase was from a pet shop in the reptile dept. This moss was dry, but when water was added it came to life. Paphs did seem to have happier roots that were lucky enough to have moss. This variety of moss struggled because I couldn’t keep it wet enough, often enough. I intend to use moss again, I just haven’t found the right variety.

i just bought some from tennessee wholesale... to grow under my benches-mainly for aesthetics free shipping today... not sure if that is a frequent thing... but i hate paying it anyway... :)

When the moss grows from spores it goes through a phase where it looks like algae, but it's thick and a bit jelly like. I get all kinds of mosses growing on my cuthbersonii under lights, including sphagnum. Like Tom says - plenty of good quality water and lots of light. It can be a mixed blessing.

moss.jpg

When the moss grows from spores it goes through a phase where it looks like algae, but it's thick and a bit jelly like. I get all kinds of mosses growing on my cuthbersonii under lights, including sphagnum. Like Tom says - plenty of good quality water and lots of light. It can be a mixed blessing.

moss.jpg

That looks really fun... much better than oxalis doing that to you!

Latest posts

Back