Any idea what this is?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BotanicaLtd

Okay, we bought this as Phrag. Saint Ouen =(Hanne Popow ‘Pinkie’ x besseae ‘Fire Engine Red’). We bloomed it and guess what? NOT!!! We like it and would like to know what it is. It's a GREAT grower and regular bloomer.

phragunknowniismzs3.jpg

Our best guess is: Inca Embers which is Phrag. Andean Fire x Phrag. longifolium. Leo?!!...help!

Has it been bought in the last few years. If so it could be a Saint Peter. If it is from 5 years ago or longer it probally is Inca Embers or Normount.
It is nice.

Soooo many possibilities....good luck!

The closest thing I have is Phrag. Sergeant Eric (Eric Young x sargentianum)
Phrag-5.jpg

There's definitely some combination of besseae, longifolium, and sargentianum(lindleyanum etc.) in there. Unfortunately each combination has a different name, and adding a backcross or two just mulitplies that even more.

Jon

You're never going to know for sure, such is the PITA with noids. Where did you buy this mislabeled beauty?

Z-StPeter9-2006.jpg

This is my St. Peter. It looks similar but my petals are longer and the dorsal is shaped different.

Grandma

Thank you everyone for your input! :wink:

I don't want to say where we got this, but I will say that another phrag. from the same order bloomed, was not as labelled, we contacted them and it was replaced. It's a prominent orchidry...but our experience with it has been poor. We still like this plant, but in general don't like "unknownii" plants---especially when they're ones that aren't what we paid for! :(

Definitely not St. Ouen. I'll do a little checking into the clonal names and see what similar plants to the one in the photo they had at the same time.

My guess would be: Sergeant Eric.
There is a Hawaii grower who wholesales to many retailers, and they have had a large batch of Sergeant Eric that sold 2004 through 2006. They also have a rep for the occasional tag mix up. The error may have happened at the wholesaler, even before the retailer got ahold of it. As long as you don't breed hybrids with it, you can probably feel okay about exhibiting it as Sergeant Eric.

I would have guessed Noirmont. It's really hard to tell with Phrag hybrids, though... here's one of my photos of a Noirmont that looks similar.

Phrag-Noirmont.jpg

- Matt

First thing I thought was Sergeant Eric... Could be Dragon's Year. Could be almost anything.

There is a wholesaler in Hawaii who I think got some tags messed up on a recent batch. I've never ordered from them, but I've seen some mislabelled things in orders that other people have received.

littlefrog said:
There is a wholesaler in Hawaii who I think got some tags messed up on a recent batch. I've never ordered from them, but I've seen some mislabelled things in orders that other people have received.
Too often, I'm sorry to say...

Back