Any guesses?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickp

Reaction score
This was supposed to be Paph Julius. Based on petal length and the white ovaries, I suppose that it has P. sanderianum in its background somewhere. Any guesses as to its other ancestry?

The “Paph sukhakulii” that I got from the same source was also mislabeled.
17e5150e-fc63-4968-af54-ba25f0440b1b-jpeg.32922

Attachments

• 17E5150E-FC63-4968-AF54-BA25F0440B1B.jpeg
    17E5150E-FC63-4968-AF54-BA25F0440B1B.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I don’t see any lowii
Yeah, I think probably a complex hybrid, but not one involving lowii. The dark petals make me think phillippinense isnin there somewhere.

If it had a name, it wouldn’t be a bad plant, but I’d have preferred a properly labeled Paph Julius over some random unlabeled multifloral ☹️

Definitely it is not a Julius.
From the shape of pouch and stamino, there is supposed to be philippinense inside.
From the colour of petal, I think there is lowii inside.
From the length of the petal, there is sanderianum inside definitely.
From the shape of dosal and petal, and the size of flower, I think only rothschildianum can do that.
So, I guess it is supposed to be (Berenice x PEOY).
But since it is not a F1, I think there are still have a few possibilities.
Miss labelled plant is always a headache.

Looks to me like Shin-Yi's Pride or a similar combo of roths, sanderianum, and philippinense. I don't see any lowii personally, I would expect broader petals and some reflexing in the dorsal if lowii was in there.

Looks to me like Shin-Yi's Pride or a similar combo of roths, sanderianum, and philippinense. I don't see any lowii personally, I would expect broader petals and some reflexing in the dorsal if lowii was in there.
The second generation progeny of lowii will be not always reflexing in the dorsal. The attached picture is (Berenice x William Amber). It is no any reflexing in the dorsal. I made this cross, the name is correct, guarantee.

Attachments

• Berenice x William Amber.JPG
    Berenice x William Amber.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 26
Back